tree in my chicken run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bucky1198, Jun 30, 2011.

1. bucky1198

bucky1198 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    colorado
    i have a tree that is about 10-15 feet tall in my chicken run most of my chickens will just lay under it for the shade, but i have one that likes to be in the tree usually on the lower branches and just hangs out there all day but yesterday i found him/her at the top of the tree when it was the time they usually go in for the night it was still at the top not moving so i got out a ladder and got it down it acted like it was scared to death do i need to worry or will it be okay?

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    My concern is if it is up there in the day and something comes after it...it will not get down.....Or if you don't catch that it is up there when you lock the coop for the night, and it gets hurt at night.

Do you have your run covered? or are they always locked up at night in a SECURE coop?

I personally do not let my chickens get use to roosting in trees...I have one in my run...and I have the run covered with wire to protect from flying predators and ones that climb and can then jump down into the run/coop.

I have the wire wrapped around the tree just under the lowest branches) then spreading out to the rest of the run......you can also use netting.

3. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Hope you understand what I was meaning....LOL

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Next time just call the Fire Dept tell them you have a chicken stuck in a tree!!! They will show up with the guys in the white van with the coat that has the really long sleeves.

Think you need to curb that behavior,next thing you know she will have company with her. If I learned anything about chickens they want to know what the others are doing. Can you cut the lower branches to eliminate the ladder effect? Or a combination of clipping her wing and cut a few branches or you could go with netting like mljohnson05 posted.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's natural for a chicken to roost andsounds like this one is a little ahead of the rest. It should come down on it's own to coop with the rest of the birds but if it becomes a problem you can wrap the tree with fruit tree net to keep the bird out of it.

6. bucky1198

bucky1198 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    colorado
    thanks for the advice the top is not covered but I have been thinking about doing it they are all locked up at night I'm going to trim the lower branches today and see if that will help. do i just need to wrap the trunk of the tree or put netting across the base just below the lower branches? I would call the fire dept. but i live so far out in the country that i might take the volunteer fire dept hours to arrive lol

7. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    You should just cut the lower branches then put a wire overhang coming off of the tree. I'm not sure how well I explained that so hopefully someone else can explain it better.

8. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:I explained it a bit in my post...a few above yours ...hopefully he understands mine too...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by