Tree Roosting Ladies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by graceology, Nov 13, 2016.

1. graceology

graceology New Egg

Nov 13, 2016
    Haleiwa, Hawaii
    Aloha fellow chickenistas! My ladies (2 RIR, 1 Plymouth) have recently taken to our shower tree for their nightly slumber. They have a lovey coop to retreat, but they seem to prefer the tree. They are entirely free-roaming and I don't secure their coop at night, as we are blessed here with no predators.
    My concern is, will this behavior discourage them from laying?? Hey are 5 months and should start laying soon, so I thought I would ask ya'll! 'Mahalo!!

2. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    :welcome
    No, roosting in a tree will not discourage them from laying, don't worry! Hens will lay when they are ready. But, make sure that they lay their eggs in the coop. Since they are completely free range, they may make nests and hide the eggs, so make sure they have nest boxes and putting dummy eggs or golf balls in the nests will help. Be sure to make sure they are going in the coop or wherever you put the nest boxes though, so they will lay there. The reason you put a dummy egg in there is so that when they see it, they "think" another hen laid there, so it is safe. You may have to have an Easter egg hunt for a few days when they start laying. Hope I answered your question !

3. Island Juli

Island Juli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2016
    Aloha neighbor! I've got a largish flock, 250 or so, and many of mine roost up in our trees as well. I feel lucky that we have no predators so my flock can truly free-range the property.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by