Tree sleepers

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stroud2009, Sep 10, 2016.

1. stroud2009

stroud2009 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2015
    Does anyone have chickens who sleep in trees ? If so , show me what your nesting boxes look like .

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Chickens roosting in trees will most likely be taken by predators fairly fast. That's why a safe night time coop is the best place for them. Mary

3. stroud2009

Oct 9, 2015
    We have tried numerous times to get them to sleep in their coop and they always go right back to sleeping in the Apple trees . We have locked them in several times hoping they will learn that's where they sleep . We have tried bribeing them into the coop with treat , tried clipping their wings , put extra wiring up on top of the fence posts to keep them off the fence . You name it . This has been a three month battle with them .

4. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Is it a problem with their coop? Too small, too short, poor ventilation? Did they have a scare while inside? Some breeds are more likely to want to 'live wild'. My first chickens roosted in my pole barn, and a nearby spruce. Many dead birds later, we transitioned the flock to a coop and run, with daytime free ranging. Much better! Mary

5. stroud2009

Oct 9, 2015
    They have a nice large coop . They all use to sleep in their coop , then my two turkeys decided to start sleeping up on the roof of their coop followed by the trees and soon after the chickens followed their lead . During this time I was out of state on vacation and my husband didn't break the habit in time . We are in the process of building a run attached to the coop and putting a net over the top but my fear is they will continue to not want to sleep in the coop.

6. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You will likely have to lock them in their coop and run for several weeks to reset the behavior. Also, if you live in a cold winter area, sleet and freezing rain will inspire them to behave! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by