Tree trunks safe?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OldeTownPeeps, Oct 23, 2016.

1. OldeTownPeeps

OldeTownPeeps New Egg

Oct 23, 2016
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Is it safe to put an oak tree trunk and a palm tree trunk in my girls' run? I could not find anything about tree trunks on the toxic plants/trees lists. I have four pet hens; I doubt they'll attempt to eat the trunks. I plan to use them as a stool for us humans to perch and a landing for the girls as they jump to a higher platform. Thoughts? I salvaged the trunks from hurricane debris piles after a recent storm and would like to put them to a happy use. [​IMG]

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I would imagine the oak stump should be safe as long as it's clean and fairly dried out. I'd pick off any loose bark if there's any left on it, otherwise it can go in as is. The birds won't try to eat it but if there's bugs under the bark they'll pick at it a little, otherwise they should enjoy sitting on it.

I don't know enough about palms to comment on that front.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

they'll be great! I think your birds will love them.

My Honey is a firewood cutter as a hobby, so we have logs/stumps/limbs all over the place. I use them in the coops as roosts, and in the runs as seats or just for entertainment value for the birds. Anything new and different captures their attention and gives them something to "talk" about for a few days.

My birds love looking for bugs in the bark. When the bark falls off (this is fir type trees, large sections of bark come off at a time) I scatter it on the ground. then, every so often, go around and move things a bit. The bugs congregate under the stump or bark, and the hens come running to see the tasty treats you've uncovered!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto donrae....they'll love them.

The loose bark isn't problem.

But they might not end up making good seats for humans tho,
    unless you take your special 'situpons' in with you to keep the poops off your butt...haha!

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x3! I take 'sit-upons' out there for that reason. Mary

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I only pick off bark since some branches I've considered using still had some sap oozing out and I don't want the birds to get in that. Granted that's not a problem with oak (I have mostly conifers around). They sure do love bugs though, so I like the idea of using bark strips to "gather" bugs for them.

For human seating I have little folding stools that we take out and put away when done, because as noted, the birds will perch and poop on the stumps. [​IMG]

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah, I don't think I would put any pine out in run....unless it was very, very old and any sap was completely dried up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by