1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

trees in the chicken run? whats safe

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HeatherLynn, May 31, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Songster

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok I really want to plant a cherry tree in the chicken run, We already have one that is near the fence of the run so I thought I could get a tree to fertilize the other and provide shade and protection for them at the same time. We do have hawks so not sure if this would encourage them to come closer or give the birds a bit of protection. It does get hotter than hades at times so shade would be great too. Will the fruit hurt them at all?

2. laughaha

laughaha Songster

May 5, 2010
    Excellent idea, they will LOVE IT!!!!

3. laughaha

laughaha Songster

May 5, 2010
    Just a suggestion, put a wire mesh apron/skirt around the base of the young cherry tree so your chooks don't dig it up.

4. Neilette

Neilette Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    They're going to jump and eat the leaves off the tree. We have a small cherry in our run, as well.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I planted 2 Stella Cherry trees in the barn lot yesterday to shade my pheasant pen. I had to fence them from the horses though, for they have a tendency to strip the bark & kill every tree within reach, in the winter. They are not lacking anything, for they are the most spoiled mini's on the face of the earth, they are just tree eradicators.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I have 2 large cherries in my backyard, 1 Bing, 1 Rainier. The chicken love the fruit, and they provide lots of cover.

Imp

7. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Songster

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Awesome, this is just what I wanted to hear. Not what the hubby wanted to hear but exactly what I wanted to hear. I think we will be off to buy me a cherry tree later. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: