1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tremetodes Yup The great wormer debate

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 7L Farm, Sep 27, 2012.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Well, can't find any answers. Seems they only make one wormer for poultry & its called wazine. Problem is its only for roundworms. My chickens fecal sample says mine have tremetodes. I'm sitting here going what the heck is a tremetode ? Never heard of it. Thinking to myself will they hurt my free ranging chickens. Also, the vet said tremetodes are rare in this neck of the woods. I ask the vet how do I treat my flock of 50 chickens. He says he doesn't know. Well, if he doesn't know I guarantee I don't.
    I've been looking under every rock out there & still have no answers. I even called Texas A&M. They gave me a phone # to the top poultry pathologist or expert in the state of Texas. He couldn't tell me much either.
    This all sounds crazy to me. I mean come on its the 21st century. I mean is this like cancer & there's no cure. The only way to rid them of tremetodes is chemo. Again, I'm lost on what to do. Sure, there's 10 million wormers out there but there all for goats, cows etc. What do chicken experts do just reach up in the sky & pick a wormer & give it to your birds. Doesn't sound logical to me. I mean I sell eggs & some say wait for god knows how long before you can sell or eat the eggs.
    Plus, I've never seen one that says it treats tremetodes again I've heard of nemetodes I have those in my garden & can't get rid of those LOL.
    Last thing are tremetodes still not sure what they are & if they will hurt my birds. Who knows how long they have had them ? I just want to do the right thing for my flock thats all. I don;'t wanna poision them with something that isn't even for poultry. I'm confused to say the least. Seems a lot of people especially out in the country don't care about there chickens but guess what I do. People around here just have this saying there just chickens. I don't treat my pets are livestock like people around here I hatched most of my chickens & there my buddies
    I took my chicken into the vet one day & some lady looked at me & said you bring your chickens here. Dang right I do I can't loose my family.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I just googled trematodes, and they are a type of fluke. Humans can get them too. DAWG53 usually recommends a wormer called valbazen for all types of chicken worms. Don't know if flukes which are a flat type of worm would be affected, but it might.

3. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Yes, I read that too. So, are these flukes a threat to chickens ? If so how do you treat them. It seems to me that free ranged chickens would get worms all the time. I mean they eat them constantly I guess. Can they live with this type of worm in their body with no ill effect ? Do I really need to worm them? Bottom line I don't wanna walk out to my coops & find dead chickens or sick chickens.
    Giving them just any old wormer just doesn't seem logical to me. Guess, I'm weird.
    Its like when you get sick you don't just take any old pill & hope it works
    Seems you would need to be very careful when you adminster any type of medication to a bird. I'm no avian vet but heck the avian vet didn't know how are if it was necessary to treat my birds. Thats why I'm lost here. There's no information for me to go by. I can't just dope them up with the wrong dope I wouldn't think. Sure humans have an entirely different system than a small bird.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Treatment

There are no products labeled for treatment of trematodes in dogs and cats; however, praziquantel, epsiprantel, and fenbendazole have been reported to be effective.Although albendazole has been reported to be effective in treating trematodes in dogs and cats, its use in small animals is not recommended because of potential associated side effects such as bone marrow toxicity.Tetracyclines are considered by many to be the treatment of choice, although other classes of antibiotics are favored by some. Short-acting corticosteroids may be used supportively. There are anecdotal reports of pet owners in high-risk areas who have dogs with exposure opportunities choosing to expose—in essence, immunize—their dogs by feeding raw fish and then treating with antibiotics at first notice of anorexia or fever. This practice appears to stimulate lifetime protection..

Fendabendazole is one product Listed. That is Safeguard or Panacure. I use it in the liquid form for goats. You can add it to their drinking water at 3cc per gallon for five days then repeat in however long the wom eggs left take.to reproduce. I use it on all my birds. Why a.vet wouldn't know that is beyond me...

It says dogs and cats get it from shellfish..fish..or affected.water.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  5. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Ok, Thanks. Where do you get this stuff & can the eggs still be eaten ? Shell fish . I have no lakes on my farm & the only shell fish my chickens have come in contact with was when I went to the coast I gave them some shrimp heads & red fish.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Safeguard you can get at any feed store. I would do some more reading on liver flukes. ..flukes...because I believe it can be in the eggs. As far as safeguard goes...if you have an allergy to FendabendaZole than you should not use the eggs...defy sort sell them after using any chemical....

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

8. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Thanks, My thoughts about treating my birds has changed I'm not sure about all this. Seems like no one really knows much about it. I'm not just gonna give the birds medicine if its not the right thing to do. Its a long story behind all this. If my flock shows signs of getting sick are death from here on. I will seek an avenue to help the flock. Hoping it won't be too late if the problem does arise. I see no need to medicate them right this second when all & all who really knows. From everyone that I've spoken with no one really knows.
    Chickens are not studied as much as cows, horses,cats, & dogs so there's really not a lot of medicines out there for different ailments for chickens. I guess the reason Doctors don't spend time finding cures for chickens is the general public sees chickens as its just a chicken. The big money is spent researching horses, cows, cats, dogs you get my drift. Its sad but I mean come on there's only one wormer on the market for chickens. Seems there would be more seeing how chickens eat anything including their own poop.

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Reason there are not other wormers is because most products are geared towards the wag and meat productions. Their would be risk to them if they approved a.chemical that someone may have a reaction to is passed in eggs etc.
    Flukes are bad on other animals and people. The possibility of it passing into the eggs would freak me out.... So I personally would treat with safeguard.than do another fecal. at worst you just wormed.your flock really well and lost some eggs.... But that is just my 2.cents.

Snails and dragon flies are another carrier....wild birds etc.

10. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I just don't know. I appreciate your responses . Have you ever had an avian vet tell you that you have this type of worm.Do you know this are you just speculating. Again, I dont just want to give chemicals to my chickens unless its the best think to do. Most people where I live have never wormed there chickens. Its very dry here & the ground is like living on the beach. Its sandy & when it rains it very rarely puddles if you follow what I'm saying. You know worms are prevelant everywhere & chickens love worms. This type of worm comes from dragon flys are shell fish. I do have dragon flys but again will this worm really hurt my chickens from what I've heard no one really knows. So, what do I do its a crap shoot no one knows. Its crazy & thats what I'm dealing with. The chickens seem healthy but I do know when chickens get sick they can pass real fast & there's no saving them again it's a crap shoot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by