Trespassers

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by kesrchicky16, Nov 26, 2017.

1. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Songster

Dec 13, 2016
    I need to vent. So my husband put out birds to bed last night, chickens in the coop & ducks in the fully enclosed run. (Alpha Roo doesn't like Alpha drake) The chicken door into the coop is in the run the ducks sleep in but hubby knows he closed it and I believe him because the ducks run to the door and try to get in as soon as they are let into the run.

Hubby gets up this morning to the chicken door tied open (like we do) and a bloody drake from a roo attack! We quizzed the kids who both thought they were in trouble for not doing something with the birds. All I can figure is someone with bad intentions came and the ducks reacted to the light so they they put them in the coop to make them quieter.

We checked everything and don't see anything missing and double checked all the locks. So all the trespassers accomplished is reinjuring our drake that was just about healed from the last time the roo found himself on the same side if the fence as the ducks.

Who knew I had guard ducks?!?

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging 5 Years

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Need to get GEESE, they'll BITE whomever...

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  3. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Songster

Dec 13, 2016
    My birds are all behind fences or walls at night. Until the rooster started being a pill, the duck slept in the chicken coop.

I try to protect my birds from preditor at night so they wouldn't be a threat to anyone after dark. The ducks are just noisy if there is the slightest hint of light. I guess alarm ducks would be a better title the guard ducks.

I am mad that my drake got hurt and knowing it had to be a human that caused it is unsettling. Why were they there? What did they want? And if the ducks quacking disturbed you so much why investigate enough to open the coop door instead of just leaving?

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging 5 Years

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Sorry to your Drake got hurt, hope he's better soon. It is unnerving when someone violates our home & surroundings. Do you suspect a neighbor or maybe kids? I'd set up a trap or something.

I had cats coming & disturbing my chickens, neighbors cats let loose at night. So I strung some fly tape with chicken bone tied to the loose end & secured the other end to the patio beams but loose enough that it would release, making sure if the wind blew it wouldn't stick to anything. The next morning, the tape was gone, thinking someones cat went home with it. Never had problems after that :)

5. Yea, there's definitely no way an animal could carry two different animals like that - your theory seems right enough. I'd suggest setting up a camera but I think it's unlikely that they'd be back after that.

6. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Songster

Dec 13, 2016
    Oh i didn't loose any birds. Just slight blood loss from the roo attacking the drake.

I suspect humans because we raise the chicken door with a rope and pulley and tie it off to a cleat to hold it open. It was tied open. That requires not only thumbs but complex reasoning skills.

7. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Crowing 8 Years

Jan 12, 2010
    mmmm my experience with husbands doing chores is that they don't pay much attention to some of the details and they aren't always forthcoming. If it was 'tied like you do', chances are, someone forgot to close the gate.

8. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut 6 Years

it sounds like seinfield is'nt the only one with intense feelings about the drake....

9. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Crowing 7 Years

Nov 10, 2010
    I'm sorry that you have an injured drake because of this.
    I am pretty sure that we have had people wandering our place not long after we moved in - and even fairly recently. I tried to set up the game cam, but it does not seem to be working. Not even a single picture of us doing chores.
    Hopefully this was a one time event.

10. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Songster

Dec 13, 2016
    He's fine. I may treat him to another bath to clean the noe loose scabs out of his neck feathers and solidify his place in the flock. I'm starting to get broody ducks (heaven help me it's just barely getting cold and it is already fridged.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: