Trevor the (totally) TransDuck

TransDuck

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2022
Hello! Uh I don’t really know what I’m doing. I joined because I’m worried my pet duck might have bumblefoot and wanted to ensure I was treating it right. This is my lovely Muscovy boy (he’s actually a girl, but I’m trans and when my dad tried switching the ducks pronouns to she when we figured out he was a girl, he started messing up line so we stick to referring to him as a boy) Trevor. He was born around Easter, hatched by us. We were hatching some eggs for the local pioneer village but unfortunately only one hatched and then we had an outbreak of avian flu in our city so he had to stay with us. He’s very loveable, and I’ve come here many times seeking answers to questions I might have (most stuff online is about outdoor ducks and he’s a house duck so it’s been an interesting discovery) he’s never home alone, and definitely thinks he’s a dog (seriously sometimes he tries to imitate our dogs barking and it’s hilarious.) I discovered a wound on the bottom of his foot recently, and I’m not certain that it’s bumblefoot but my friend had a goose who had bumblefoot and thinks that it could be. Right now we are doing twice daily Epson salt soaks, and then when the vet wrap comes he will be wrapped with cotton balls to keep the weight off and keep the area sanitary. Should I go ahead and get vetericyn right away? I hadn’t gotten an answer to that but figured this would be the perfect place to ask.

Attachments

• ABB32011-9C99-454C-9348-9D46B5C31C66.jpeg
    ABB32011-9C99-454C-9348-9D46B5C31C66.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 1F645D2E-7990-4783-8B10-6F8AF4BF6C07.jpeg
    1F645D2E-7990-4783-8B10-6F8AF4BF6C07.jpeg
    573.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 0E8426C9-6B11-4304-BAB6-D25A7C09C404.jpeg
    0E8426C9-6B11-4304-BAB6-D25A7C09C404.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 1
  • B77C9129-1931-47A4-AAB4-A31CF62DC5AE.jpeg
    B77C9129-1931-47A4-AAB4-A31CF62DC5AE.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 1
Hello! Uh I don’t really know what I’m doing. I joined because I’m worried my pet duck might have bumblefoot and wanted to ensure I was treating it right. This is my lovely Muscovy boy (he’s actually a girl, but I’m trans and when my dad tried switching the ducks pronouns to she when we figured out he was a girl, he started messing up line so we stick to referring to him as a boy) Trevor. He was born around Easter, hatched by us. We were hatching some eggs for the local pioneer village but unfortunately only one hatched and then we had an outbreak of avian flu in our city so he had to stay with us. He’s very loveable, and I’ve come here many times seeking answers to questions I might have (most stuff online is about outdoor ducks and he’s a house duck so it’s been an interesting discovery) he’s never home alone, and definitely thinks he’s a dog (seriously sometimes he tries to imitate our dogs barking and it’s hilarious.) I discovered a wound on the bottom of his foot recently, and I’m not certain that it’s bumblefoot but my friend had a goose who had bumblefoot and thinks that it could be. Right now we are doing twice daily Epson salt soaks, and then when the vet wrap comes he will be wrapped with cotton balls to keep the weight off and keep the area sanitary. Should I go ahead and get vetericyn right away? I hadn’t gotten an answer to that but figured this would be the perfect place to ask.
Welcome to BYC! Soaking her foot in the salt bath is good, and if it is bumblefoot, then you want to try and get the scab part off.

What an adorable duck Trevor is! That does look to me like bumblefoot, and while most folks make a big deal about needing to cut out the hard core, I found a wonderful alternative that might work, using PRID drawing salve (video here). You put some on after the Epsom salt bath, but watch the video for details.

If it's not bumblefoot, nothing will have been harmed, and it if is, this sounds like a good treatment plan to me (says the non-veterinarian).

Plus, it will save poor Trevor from all the trauma of a cut foot, and save you from the trauma of cutting poor Trevor's foot.

Back
Top Bottom