Trial of a longer lockdown. Photo of Results

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyfromoz, Jun 25, 2010.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have noticed a difference in my settings lately- and I am now incubating in our winter- meaning that the heater is on inside the house- Great for the ducklings- But I have wondered if it could be effecting the humidity. I have noticed that I have to refill the water trays more often recently - so I decided to try increasing the humidity a few days early with this lot of eggs to see how things go. So far I have 4 internally pipped ducklings from 8 eggs on day 26 - Nothing out of the ordinary there..But I am hoping that this hatch will be a little easier than my previous two.

I have had a few pip backwards lately- which could be a sign of not enough moisture meaning the duckling cant turn and tuck the right way- I know it can be an indication of a lot of other things as well though- But thought this is at least one thing I can try. I have been misting these eggs every few days- as I do with every hatch - they were in an incubator with a fan - rather than still air - however the hatcher where they now are has no fan.

The aircells on every egg were at a good size- so I wasnt worried about any duckling being at risk from drowning if the humidity was too high for an extra two days right at the end of the incubation period. They went into lockdown 48 hours ago- and the official time for being "due " is about 42 hours.

I increased the lockdown time from 3 days to 5.... I will be watching this lot with great interest..and will post about the results and comparison to previous hatches.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010

2. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    I'll be interested to hear how it goes. I had a hard time adjusting humidity during the time that we were hatching Pigeon. We would have intense rain for a few days and I would have to fiddle with the vents to make sure it wasn't too high, and then it would all dry out and I was adding more moisture back in. I caught it before there were any real swings, but am looking forward to incubating now that the weather is just hot and dry....

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have 2 externally pipped this morning, and all the other eggs are rocking and wobbling. I didnt open the bator at all to see what else was going on since there is cracks in the eggs now. It will also be interesting to see how long the hatch spans. I have had a difference of three days between the first and last out with the last few hatches as well- so I am hoping it will also happen quicker this time around...

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Well so far I think the longer lockdown has had a possative effect. I have just had the first duckling hatch a little early with no complications. She is still flopping around the incubator and I can now hear alot more peeping going on between the ducklings.

5. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Songster

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    [​IMG]

thank you for sharig this duckyfromoz,
    i appreciate it
    it cheers me up.

flogging around?
    i love aussies!
    [​IMG]

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    They have now been in the bator just a few hours short of 28 days. I have usually found that my Runners are more often late than early- But I have 5 remaining eggs all pipped with some starting to unzip - And one that I think may be backwards in the egg - still alive but no pip yet that I can see- of course if it is backward in there- the pip hole may be underneath the egg..

The little one already hatched is fluffed up in there and peeping away ready to come out.

7. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    awee congrats on your hatchling. is the backwards one a flippy egg?

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Interesting experiment!! Thank you for posting. I would not have expected positive results from it, which just goes to show you that it's a great thing that not everyone thinks alike. Congrats on the success, and I can't wait to try it myself the next time I have eggs with well-developed air cells. [​IMG]

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    My theory was that with overly large aircells- I have been having issues with the ducklings not being able to turn into the correct position and becoming shrink wrapped. Increasing the humidity for these eggs a the point at which they start to tuck - at day 23- 24 hopefully was going to result in a better hatch.

Although the hatch is not over yet and there is still one pipped backwards- it is looking like the main hatching will be relatively quick- with one early and maybe one later than the main group- not one every twelve hours or so and ducklings needing assistance.

Lovesduckies- The egg that is backwards was laid by Flipps- So knowing that alone I am still very hesitant about that egg for other reasons. It is the only one left of hers that I have ever tried to incubate- Hope the liltle one is going to be ok.

10. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Cool. That makes sense. Here in the humid SE U.S., I don't have trouble with overdeveloped air cells. Quite the opposite--which is why I was thinking that early lockdown would be bad. Very interesting how successful incubation is different in different parts of the world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by