1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trial on treating bumblefoot without surgery...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by revmarcie, Nov 1, 2016.

1. revmarcie

revmarcie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2016
    Folks,
    Just thought I'd post something I am attempting and will keep you informed of the progress.
    Did surgery on obvious bumblefoot on one of my hen's feet. Successful but very traumatic. The other foot was terribly swollen but no obvious scab or spot. Had been soaking her in epsom salts but no real obvious results on that second foot.
    Last night I remembered something I used to rid myself of an abscessed tooth. Bentonite clay. It is a really great drawing out agent. I looked up Bentonite clay on the internet to be sure if she ate any of her bandages that it would not hurt her. Apparently they sometimes use Bentonite clay as a binder in some poultry feed. So safe there.
    I soaked gauze in wet bentonite clay mixture and wrapped up her foot very well. Then taped it over with Vet tape/Sport's wrap. That was at 11:30 last night. This morning she was still holding that foot up but also standing on it more often and definitely has her appetite back. I re-wrapped the foot again this morning with the Bentonite Clay gauze and she is more comfortable again. No obvious signs yet that it has diminished the swelling, but again -- this is only the second treatment. I will keep you posted as to how this works. Prayers this works folks --- I'm at my wits end and cannot afford a vet bill.

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I do like you are doing with ichthammol drawing salve. Works wonders. Never had to do bumble foot surgery since. I wrap the foot with gauze (after removing the scab if there is any) that is coated in salve and leave it a couple days (chicken or duck is kept in clean cage). Pull the coating and squeeze the area to see if any infection comes out. Reapply salve and rebandage. I keep doing this until the foot is healed. Usually takes a couple weeks but all is well. Best luck with your experiment. I would like to see how it goes!

3. revmarcie

Feb 12, 2016
    I'll keep you posted. I was going to go with Ichthammol but remembered the bentonite before I did so. That surgery business is terrible. We'll never do it again, if at all possible. I know it is painful for them. Ichthammol was a family favorite growing up. It got rid of even cactus needles which I always seemed to get into as a kid.

4. Murphyslaw123

Murphyslaw123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    I recently had a great experience soaking a bumblefoot in tricide neo (a tropical fish remedy for infectious skin ulcers, I believe). I soaked her affected foot for about 5 minutes, twice daily. After about 10 days, I noticed the black spot where the bumble was, was lifting up. I helped peel it off and realized at that point that the swelling was gone and there was brand new skin under the black spot. I was really amazed and totally happy with the results. It was worth every penny!

5. revmarcie

Feb 12, 2016
    I also spent a fortune on the Tricide Neo. I did it for quite some time on that bad foot with no scab. Unfortunately no difference. I heard that it works sometimes and not others. I really wish it had worked but I think that the foot might have needed a scab starting to begin with, not sure.
    Just as an update, I worried about the hard nature of the clay poultice after a few hours (it turned rock-like). So last night I went to Ichthamol ointment. I guess this Bentonite idea is good but you cannot leave it on for long periods of time because it dries out. Thanks for all your comments. I am really really hoping that the Ichthamol works for her. I really love this little girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by