Tribute to Siviah!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cochinGurl, Aug 16, 2011.

1. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    [​IMG] Sivy was a rescue. her egg rolled away from mom and got very cold. her week old siblings saw the little pip hole and pecked at it. i found her with one cold little bloody wing sticking out. she had lost a lot of blood and was to weak to hatch. we warmed her up and pealed the egg shell off. her curious siblings had pecked part of her face and wing off, poor dear. she was not ready to hatch, so she had mushy chick disease, and about a third of her was still yolk. we were amazed she was still alive! we made her a hot moist little house and kept her there undisturbed at 103 degrees and high humidity for 3 days untill she absorbed all her yolk. her legs didnt work right, so she would lay on her side. she also couldent eat because of her messed up beak. we dropper fed her liquid chick starter and boiled egg. we made her a leg brace to help her stand and learn to walk. we were very glad she was on the mend, but as she got better and more aware of her soroundings, she decided i was mom and she always wanted to be with mom. ALWAYS!!! i took her everywhere with me. after about a week she learned to eat and drink some, but very slowly. by two weeks she could walk and even run! although she was getting stronger and better, she had hardly grown since she was born, and had one wing that was smaller than the other. she finaly was strong enough to follow me around the house where ever i went. so cute! at a little over a month she began to sprout feathers and grow a little. we then gave her back to her owners. at the time, they were not expirienced enough to handle her early care. she was finaly where she belonged, with her siblings. she was a 3rd there size, but got along fine. they were all a happy family for about 2 weeks untill tradgity struck in the form of a raccoon attack. Siviah along with most of her siblings and birth mother where whisked off never to be seen again. We mourned her loss but also celibrated her life and how far she had made it. long live her memory.
    love you sivy.
    below: sivy and two siblings
    [​IMG]

2. Sorry for your loss of your brave little chick. Same thing has happened to me, even a similar story. I had a chick who was born into an egg with an EXTREMELY thick shell. I helped him hatch out and left him under his mom for warmth. The next day, i brought him into the brooder for special care. he lived a few weeks until he was fully feathered, then the raccoon got him. My advice to you would be to buy a live trap and get that sucker. I finally got the raccoon after 9 chickens and countless chicks became its food. it was the most satisfying experience ever.

Here's a picture of Jesus (Spanish pronunciation) and his siblings; all of which except one of the black ones were eaten. He's the one whose all bloody.
    [​IMG]

3. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    awww, cute pic. the owners of the chickens live a ways away from us and yes, they did catch the raccoon and... "deal with it". thanks for your reply. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by