Tags:
  1. MotherOfChickens

MotherOfChickens Songster

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm sure this has been covered many times, but I'm curious about exactly how you all treated bumblefoot using Tricide Neo.

Right now Ive been trying to do non evasive treatments of soaking in warm Epsom salt baths, picking, vetricyn, neosporin, and wrapping.

So now I am going to try Tricide Neo. My question, for those of you who have done this method, do you still pick, pack, and wrap? Or do you just soak daily and put the bird back out with the flock?

TIA

LlamaGirl4 likes this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I've never used it, but @dawg53 has, hopefully he will chime in:)

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :pop

4. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Songster

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure you still try get the scab off and any core that may be underneath. :pop

MotherOfChickens likes this.
  5. Luvs

Luvs Chirping

Oct 16, 2017
    Texas
    One of my hens had bumble foot over the summer. I also wanted to try non-evasive treatments. I found a veido on YouTube made by a veterinarian and followed his directions. Twice a day soak in warm Epson salt water for 15 minutes, making sure to move her feet and rub the pads during the soak. Dried her feet after and applied neosporin. No dressing. It took almost 6 weeks of daily soaks but it did 100% clear up. Good luck!

6. MotherOfChickens

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee

Awesome, thank you! So to clarify, I dont need to try and pick at it while I am using Tricide Neo?

I'm hoping this works because I've been fighting this battle and I seem to be losing. If it doesnt work, would pro pen g (I think that's what they call it) help?

7. MotherOfChickens

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    I've been doing Epsom salt, vetricyn, and neosporin with no changes

8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Set 40 eggs Jan. 2!

I believe you need to get the scab off and the pus out no matter which 'medicine' you try.
    The pus needs to come out first.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    MotherOfChickens and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    According to the links that @dawg53 gave you, no - you don't need to pick at the bumblefoot:
    I've used Tricide Neo and it works well treating bumblefoot. It's not necessary to cut into the footpad to remove the infection using Trineo

If you would like to post some photos we will be happy to look at them and offer other suggestions.

Procaine Penicillin G is an antibiotic, but it would not dry up bumblefoot. You can use that in conjunction with "traditional" Bumblefoot "surgery".

What methods of treatment have you tried?

Cragg Klefor likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: