trick a chicken with a fake egg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by france4862, Nov 14, 2013.

1. france4862

france4862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    I hear some will put a fake egg in nest to encourage egg laying. At what age do you start?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It isn't so much a "trick" as it is the power of suggestion. Most pullets in larger flocks might have an older layer to watch and model. With no older hens to copy, the golf balls or wooden eggs help the pullet "register" just where she might lay. Sometimes they work very well.

They certainly do not help speed the day of first laying however. That's just up to Mother Nature.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. france4862

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    Oh all my chicks the same age no older hens so should I do this and if so at what age? Thank you

4. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I put golf balls in the boxes when they were 16 weeks so they had plenty of time to get the drift.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It doesn't encourage egg laying to begin, if I understood your post right. Laying will happen when the chicken's body is mature and ready to lay. It just helps give them the idea where to lay those eggs. Even then you will likely have some that have their very own ideas about where they want to lay those eggs.

6. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    Very much so. I keep my hay stored about 4ft up off the ground and have my nest boxes (with a couple golf balls in them) about 2ft off the ground and very visible. My chickens would rather fly up and just lay straight on the hay then to lay in the nest boxes. I finally just put a couple up there so I wouldn't have to worry about em rolling off on accident and breaking. So chickens kinda lay where they want I guess. I have heard good reports on the golf balls/wooden eggs from others but I guess mine are just too stubborn.

7. france4862

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    Thats funny. Si I suppose it isn't that important to do

8. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Chickens LOVE to nest on hay, so it tends to get first pick, regardless.

But it's a chicken's nature to lay where they see other eggs. It is a natural instinct, so they keep the clutch together for sitting later. They don't have to gather up their eggs just to sit on them to hatch them - they already laid their eggs in the same spot everytime (or so they think).

And chickens aren't always smart enough to know that THEY didn't actually lay those eggs. Some are, but most really aren't. So golfballs, wooden eggs, ceramic eggs, etc., kinda tell the chicken "you have laid here before...." which encourages them to lay in the same spot.

But chickens want to lay in secure spots. High off of the ground is one option. They want enclosed spaces. They want to be hidden, not easy to see (so no glass). And they want the nesting material to be kinda soft on their feet so it doesn't hurt the chicks. Believe it or not, warmth is the least of their worries, as long as the eggs and chicks are hidden well.

So if you put fake eggs out in the open, they probably won't lay there at all, whether they see one or not. They have to determine what is right for them, but if an existing egg is in a decent-enough spot, they'll take it!

9. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    I would say it's really not that important. Regardless the lonely golf ball is still siting in the nest box where they haven't laid yet. When I build my new breeding coops I'm putting in a community nest box that will basically be a ledge about 3 feet or so off the ground up where it's kinda dark and secluded. Chickens lay where they feel safe and hidden so just keep that in mind when placing nest boxes and you'll do fine. Think Like A Chicken!! lol

10. france4862

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    Great ideas thanks I need all the help I can get:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by