Trick Ideas plz

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Duckchick2011, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    I was thinking on clicker training my oldest goat Isabelle, I have already introduced her to the clicker and the main idea, have already taught her to touch target(only took about 5 mins.) and now I want to move on.

Anybody out there have any trick ideas or their own past experiences with training their goats(or any critter beyond a dog or cat), any response is appreciated [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just thought I would add a pic of Isabelle...the little brown goat is camillia her little sister...and the blobs in the background are my ducks re-dirtying their newly cleaned pool [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

No real experience here, but goats are VERY trainable, as long as you don't expect them to stay off of stuff. We have ours trained to leave the field and enter the enclosure with anything orange.

3. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    That's kind of interesting...how long did it take to teach them? Have they ever brought you something totally unexpected? [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

Quote:Let me tell you this - if its edible their smellers know it!!!! We use carrots and pumpkins and squash. They are NOT dumb. But they are perpetually hungry.

5. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    That is soooo true...Isabelle, though she is shy of strangers, will come running the second she see's someone with a branch of leaves in their hand. I will tell you, if you have food that goat will be your best friend for life [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

And food means anything that is POSSIBLY edible!!! LOL!!!!

7. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    [​IMG] Exactly...

You know, this goat is smarter that I thought, I already have her dancing(standing without putting her muddy little hooves on me) and shaking hands, taught her both tricks in a matter of minutes, and she doesn't seem to forget them once she learns them either. I am very impressed with how well this is going(which is a lot better than I was expecting [​IMG] )

I really would appreciate any trick ideas out there...she seems up to the test [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by