Tricking the hen? (:

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkielover92, Apr 13, 2012.

1. silkielover92

silkielover92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    I ordered a few chicks and have a few hens sitting on unfertile eggs could I sneak them in there at night and take the eggs and her to take ton the chicks?

2. mcwooten

mcwooten Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    North Carolina
    Definitely not. The hen, nor the chicks, will not have gone through the "bonding process" that occurs at hatch. She will not recognize them as her own brood and they will not recognize her as their mother; she may even hurt them.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I put some chicks under a broody and she took to them immediately. We waited until a couple of hours after dark, lifted her tail, and placed the chicks under. No problems at all, everyone is happy and bonded a week later. We were prepared for her to reject them, though, and had the brooder all set up just in case. Many other folk have had success in this way.

4. silkielover92

silkielover92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    i will deffinatly try this! :) and i will have the brooder ready JUST in case... fingers crossed!! thank you guys:)

5. AZ_HenHouse

AZ_HenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    I had a banty hatch out 5 chicks from our eggs. Well, I saw some younguns at the feedstore and picked up a couple to give her. We slipped them under her that night and she accepted them just fine. Now a week later my son saw a chick he just had to have (picking up more chick mash since the big girls found the other bag and destroyed it). Tried to slip it under her and she was not fooled. Picked it out in a heartbeat and sent it packing. I am now raising those two myself[​IMG]
    Here is a picture of the hen with the one of them that we slipped under her.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by