tricks for sexing delawares?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PotterWatch, Feb 13, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am familier with the ways to pick BRs (head spot, dark wash on legs, etc.), but I was wondering if there are any similar tricks to use with delawares. I am getting a few next week and though they are supposed to be sexed pullets, I always like to look through and pick the ones that look the most female. They should be less than a week old if that makes any difference. Thanks!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Too early to sex them. By about 4 weeks old, you will start seeing the boys' combs becoming larger and turning pink. Later, there are other tricks, though the boys have more color around their shoulders. Here are some I used to have and you can tell the boys and girls here at 4 weeks. In the second pic, the boys are on each end and the girls in the middle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I rather thought that might be the case. Oh well, I'll just pick out the cute ones and hope for the best!

4. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    Not sure where you ordered them from but I ordered mine from McMurray and requested that they mark the roo. They said it would not be problem to do so other places might be willing to do the same.[​IMG]

5. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Left to right cock, cock,hen,cock

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope, there were two males and two females. They were vicious, flighty birds and I sold them at about 8 weeks old. They were hatched from McMurray's stock, bad tempered this strain was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by