1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tricks/Tips for setting shipped eggs!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heron's Nest Farm, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    I didn't find a thread on this. If there is, someone just tell me.

I thought I would ask everyone about how they go about setting and hatching shipped eggs?

How long do you wait? Do you use the turner? What to look for in them when you receive them? ETC

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would wait 24 hrs if they had a floating air cell, or I would atleast set them in incubator up right. if the eggs had a normal air cell I would put them in incubator right away, Why? because in PO they do alot of sitting around waiting for the next shipment. and those eggs are getting older. Good luck to you.

3. Heron's Nest Farm

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    SO my air cells are floating in a lot of these eggs. I have let them sit, but they are now in the incubator. I turned the the turner on after 48 hours. I hope they will reattach! DOes anyone have experience with floating air cells and success with them?

4. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I just got some eggs with the air cell in place but at a wonky angle, as the egg shrank the aircells evened out.

1 person likes this.
  5. Heron's Nest Farm

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    Yay! I hope this is the case.

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Just got call duck eggs I will set them in a couple of days, I only had to drive 20 min. to get them.

7. Heron's Nest Farm

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    Little quacks!!!1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by