Tricky BR---Pullet or Rooster? Please Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WoodinvilleChicken, Oct 27, 2009.

1. WoodinvilleChicken

WoodinvilleChicken New Egg

Oct 27, 2009
    We adopted this little BR chicken a month ago and now I'm concerned that "Miss Moneypenny" may not be a girl after all [​IMG]

Can you help? I'm confused about the feather patterns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Coloration of feathers and legs is female. However, in the first pic it looks like you can see some saddle feathers coming down before the tail. So maybe a female colored male??? Do you know how old? Could you take some more pics of her from the side and from above perhaps?

3. WoodinvilleChicken

Oct 27, 2009
    Hi there,

She/He is about 13 weeks old. Very dark in color and just such a nice little chicken. I'll hate to rehome him, but there is no way in our little suburban neighborhood that we could keep a roo. I'll see if I can get another picture uploaded from the top.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Pictures from the side would be very helpful.

5. WoodinvilleChicken

Oct 27, 2009
    Ok, just took one from the side:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry that is a rooster! Saddle feathers give it away. Yes, it's very dark for a BR male, however, I had some Silver Phoenix roo over BR hen cockerels who looked just like that. I really thought they were pure BR pullets with faded barring, till the comb got red way too early.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here is a pair of 12 week old BR pullets for comparison--see the lack of comb?
    [​IMG]

Here are two Silver Phoenix/BR cross cockerels I mentioned:

[​IMG]

8. WoodinvilleChicken

Oct 27, 2009
    Oh, how sad and disappointing [​IMG] Second time this year. Well thank you very much for letting me know, better to find a home for him now than get even more attached!

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    You get very dark males when you outcross to non-barred birds. Males dark like that carry only a single barring gene, hence darker rather than the pretty, lighter and more sharply barred, double gened Roos.

Right now I get a lot of those, makes it simple to cull. Oh look - barred, dark, boy... meat pen.

10. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    That's a boy. So sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by