tricky spiral leg bands?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flitter, May 16, 2011.

1. flitter

flitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there a trick to getting these on? I found it very difficult. I did a hen and three week old chicks... not good. 8 hens, a roo and 19 chicks to go... I don't think this is a good idea! I must not be doing something right (I hope)! I considered zip strips and velcro but didn't think I could mark them well. The spirals come in many colors and you can do right/left leg too.

2. flitter

Oh, oh! No suggestions... I'm considering nail polish on their toes!

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have a method for putting them on and taking them off, but i don't know how I'd go about explaining it. Once you've done a few it does get easier. I tried nail polish on some newly hatched chicks once......they pecked it off each other.

4. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    The way I do it is I hold the chicken while I have DH put the band on [​IMG]

5. flitter

I seem to get it stuck half way on. I should be pretty good by the time I have them all done? Then it'll be time to change the size on the chicks.
    Katy, did you use odd color nail polish... not red... green, blue?
    Hillbilly Hen, your new coop looks cool, the brooder/breeder area especially!

6. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I had my son hold them while I put them on... it seems like a two-person job to me!

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I used green.....it lasted about a day!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Two people would make it easier, but my husband isn't into holding chickens for me and my kids are all grown and gone.

9. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG] Thanks!

Katy, if I lived in Kansas I would be glad to come and help you. I saw a post on here a few days ago where someone used elastic hair bands, the very small ones, for leg bands. Or maybe you could try doing it when the chickens have gone to roost for the night. Good luck!

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG] Thanks!

Katy, if I lived in Kansas I would be glad to come and help you. I saw a post on here a few days ago where someone used elastic hair bands, the very small ones, for leg bands. Or maybe you could try doing it when the chickens have gone to roost for the night. Good luck!

Thanks Hillbilly Hen......Over the years I've figured out a method to do it on my own and isn't too bad most of the time.

I tried those tiny hair rubber bands once, but they didn't stay on very well for me. Now on day old chicks I use the tiniest zip ties I can get of different colors and change them frequently till they get a little bigger when I use the spiral bands on them.

Last edited: May 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by