Tried cornish rocks. Looking for another meat bird.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by burntmuch, May 16, 2010.

1. burntmuch

burntmuch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Montrose MI
    Gonna be sending my 10 cornish rocks to freezer camp later this week. They did exactly what they were supposed to do. Eat, Crap, & gain weight. So I cant complain. But kinda thinking I should try some different types. Wouldnt mind if I had to feed them for a couple more weeks. Was thinking about freedom rangers or The buff orpingtons. Both look like better looking birds. But how do they look with a side of tators. Ive kinda got a small set up. would like to do 40 or so meat birds a year in batches of 15 or so a couple times a year. along with my 7 laying hens. Just looking for some input here.

PS Im loving this site. Ive learned a whole bunch just reading . Thanks for all the great info

2. KatieH

KatieH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    Indiana
    Well, I really liked the cornish roaster from MM. MM seems to have a bad rap here, but I had a great experience. They're hybrids like the X but they grow slower (my fryers were ready at 8 weeks and roasters at 12, did the last of them at 14 weeks). I did have 2 with CHF but that was my fault for letting them have free access to their food. Once we restricted their feed we didn't have any more trouble. The roamed around the yard and could run and everything (which was hilarious). They did eat and poop a lot but we just 15 starting out so it wasn't so bad.

I love my buff orpingtons too much to eat them! But I hear they're good eating, of course they take a lot to get to size.

3. bucketgirl

bucketgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    25 Freedom Rangers with a total carcass weight of about 77lbs through the kind of crappy spring we had here. (Processed April 4). That's not including organ meat/necks. It also includes one little 'packing peanut' at 1lb 9oz. If you factor him out, the return is quite decent. They were 13 weeks old and a little too tough. Will go only 11-12 next time, and doing 50 this round!

That said, the guy I get my feed from (http://www.pasturedsensations.com/aboutfeed.html) gets his Cornish from Welp and swears by them. He has me about talked into trying a batch so I can squeeze a few more birds out of the summer/fall season so I don't have to raise chickens over the winter.

Edit: The flavor is excellent, btw. They run around like 'real' chickens and the lungs are so healthy and strong they sometimes just pop out with all the innards. All gizzards full of rocks and grass, even though we take them off feed a day before slaughter. They are impressive animals. Just thinking about them makes my mouth water [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  4. mdulik

mdulik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Try townlinehatchery.com and look at there meatie selection. They onlly have 2 choices. the first one vantress X is a very fast growing chicken. 4 lbs in 4 weeks. the other choice is a little slower. Both are excellent choices. I have tried some of the other hatcheries and by far think this one is the best. I have had really good luck with them.

5. burntmuch

burntmuch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Montrose MI
    I guess I need to taste the cornish rocks before I decide. I ll start my next batch in late July. or so. So they be ready for the freezer by fall. Maybe 15 or so. I m gonna give townline a look they,re only a couple hrs from me. I can only do 10 or 15 at a time, Wish I could do 10 or so of the Freedom rangers at the same time. just to compare. They are a good looking bird. Thanks for all the great info guys.

6. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I raise cornish x and wouldn't dream of raising anything else. My sister just bought some 5 lb freedom ranger birds and said they were mostly bone and little meat. She said she could easily get 3 meals out of a 5 lb cornish, but only got barely 2 out of a 5 lb freedom ranger. IMO, why raise birds for longer to get less meat? [​IMG]

7. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Quote:Some people don't like CXs because the bird grows too fast. For me I want that heritage flavor that isn't in the CX breed. Going by your logic, you should only eat BBW turkeys. In 16 weeks each bird is over 30 lbs.

8. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Some people don't like CXs because the bird grows too fast. For me I want that heritage flavor that isn't in the CX breed. Going by your logic, you should only eat BBW turkeys. In 16 weeks each bird is over 30 lbs.

Honestly, I've never tried a freedom ranger. I love the flavor from the pastured free range cornish. Tastes nothing like what's in the store, that's for sure.

And I bought turkeys this year. BBWs and BBBs. [​IMG]

9. Mac_

Mac_ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    You might want to try red broilers or black broilers from Ideal.

10. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Here's some idea's I've been kicking around. Trying the cornish X first though, might try one of these other breeds once we get the standard X birds down.

Saipan Jungle Fowl:
    Hen---------8-9 lbs
    Rooster-----9-13 lbs

Dark Cornish:
    Hen-----------8 lbs
    Rooster-------10 1/2 lbs

Black Jersey Giants:
    Hen -------10 lbs
    Rooster----13 lbs

Cochin:
    Hen -------8 1/2 lbs
    Rooster---11 lbs