Tried making my own candler- Didn't work-Any suggestions??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tberggren, May 7, 2008.

1. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    I found an old lamp that was perfect, had a tube shade that I cut down to size. A coffee lid fit perfect on it so cut a slot in the lid and thought I was good to go. Put one of those florescent curly type light bulbs in it (25w) turned out the lights....nothing:/

Any suggestions??

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Get a really bright wattage light! Those flourescent ones don't work for this purpose. OR find an old slide projector.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Go to Wal-mart, K-mart, Lowes or a hunting store.....get a nice small mag. flashlight, I think mine was less then 20 or 15.00...dark room and shine from the top of the egg down...you will be amazed at waht you see.........

Try using a 100 watt reg. bulb in it before you would purchase a flashlight...

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    O I'm so high tech here-- I have a little mini-mag 45 lumens flashlight from Walmart and a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towel --
    what I found was to cut every single light off anywhere near the bator--make it really really black dark! & wait about 10 minutes for my eyes to adjust to the dark & then start --no problem seeing through my brown cochin eggs!

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I just purchased a Dorcy brand L.E.D. with 45 Lumens (1 watt) for less then 10 bucks at Wal-Mart and it works great. I did have to take a piece of paper and tape with black duck tape and make a funnel shape over the light head and after I did that it worked even better [​IMG] I don't have fertile eggs yet but my egg lady does and I seen veining in her eggs! She is going to buy one today lol

6. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    I second the mag light. I am going to have to buy another one since I wore out my first one. Get the one that takes 2 AA batteries, they work the best on all size eggs. I will take 6 or 8 eggs in a carton to my hubbies closet and candle them. I used to worry about keeping them out of the bator for to long but have discovered that this doesnt hurt them at all. I candle that bunch and then put them back. You still will have trouble if you are trying to look into colored eggs or dark brown. I havent found anything yet that will shine through those. I dont like the light bulb thing since they get so hot. A small mag light is around 10 dollars at Walmart. Good luck. Jenn

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    O I'm so high tech here-- I have a little mini-mag 45 lumens flashlight from Walmart and a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towel --
    what I found was to cut every single light off anywhere near the bator--make it really really black dark! & wait about 10 minutes for my eyes to adjust to the dark & then start --no problem seeing through my brown cochin eggs!

This comment wasn't there when I started typing mine [​IMG] you must have the same flashlight I got! I learned of it here on BYC so I decided to get one! It DOES work great!​

8. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I use my son's viewmaster projector - it works pretty well.

Louella

9. rodandbrandy

rodandbrandy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    I use a mag laight and wrap my hand around the egg, works evertime in a nice dark room! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    My DH built one for me... he mounted a lamp-kit on a square of plywood, then fit a large metal coffee can over it with a hole the size of a silver dollar in the bottom. We used one of those curly light bulbs because they don't get hot...100w, I think. It works really well. I then took a piece of cardboard and cut a small hole in it the size of a cranberry to hold in front of the hole for my quail eggs. [​IMG] We had the candler mounted on the wall in the chicken coop when we had broodies. It's nice because you keep your hands free while candling. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by