Tried mealworms hysterical

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dreamwallaby, Jun 23, 2010.

1. dreamwallaby

dreamwallaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    Offered my 6 wk old girls mealworms for the first time. You would have thought I threw a snake on there. They ran to the opposite side of cage and were jumping on top of eachother to get away from the worms. These were tiny worms, lol. Finally after 5 min my amerileg got brave and tried one. She loved it, went to grab two mote at once and the other chicks started chasing her for them. Silly chickens.

2. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    They are so fuunnny when they figure out what bugs are! Next time they'll dive like fighter pilots after them. [​IMG]

I gave mine mealworms for the first time at the same age as yours and brave Beatrice, my BR barely hesitated. Well, the rest had to chase her instead of grabbing one, then they realized they could get one too. My funniest treat was Cheerios. They all grabbed one ran around, chased each other and then--dropped them. They had no idea they could eat them [​IMG]

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Ya, I was the same way the first time someone fed me mealworms. [​IMG]

4. chickerdoodle

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    One of my older hens caught a lizard the other day and she had the whole flock after her. She looked pretty funny running around with a lizard hanging out of her mouth, but she couldn't stop and eat it because everyone else wanted a part of it. Hope they do the same with snakes.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  6. mistyfeather

mistyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    one of mine had a bright yellow dandylion on a long stem and all the outers ran around trying to catch the yellow part [​IMG] she kept trying to turn around to make sure she still had it!

7. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    I threw a moth in with my almost 2-week olds; hysteria followed. As soon as one took it, the other 2 were on her like women at a shoe sale. Too funny!

btw, are moths ok for them to eat? [​IMG]

8. chickerdoodle

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by