tried to introduce some chicens to my flock neck is open wound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dustponds10, Jul 19, 2010.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well I tried to introduce some chickens to my flock and after 2 days they were fine but when I came and took a look today the back of one of the chickens neck was scalped and muscle is showing, I removed the chickens I introduced into another pen and I am wondering how to help this bird. Any help would be awesome as i would really like to get this chicken healed. Thanks

2. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    anyone know i really need a hand, can i cover it some how put some antiseptic on it or what can i do so that other birds dont pick on this chicken?

3. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    Get the wound cleaned up so there is no blood present. There is a product sold at feed stores that is call No-Peck, or I'm sure they have something similar, that you can apply to the wound that will keep the others from pecking at her. Good Luck!

4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Blue-kote is a spray-on or dab on antiseptic that camouflages the area. You will probably need to let her heal for awhile before she is reintroduced to the rest of the flock. Also monitor her for signs of infection, and in this weather you will want to keep a sharp eye out for maggots forming in that area. With flies around in summer that is an issue.

5. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    great information. i appericate it a ton. I am really new and need all the advice that I can get to help my birds. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by