1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tried to move Broody hen, bad eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by the1honeycomb, Jul 14, 2011.

1. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    Hi I tried to move my broody hen to the broody hut. She went back to her old nest and left the eggs. I was at work and didn't get home till late, found the eggs had been eaten by other hens in the hut. I have 15 eggs coming in that I purchased online can I put these under her?
    I don't mind leaving her where she is do you think shell be ok?[​IMG]

2. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I've left my broodies in with everyone else. I have to keep the eggs I'm hatching marked because the other hens want to lay in the broody's nest and I have had a couple of incidences where another hen has kicked the broody off her nest and she's gone to sit on another. I think as long as you check for things like that, she should be fine.

I'm expecting Red's eggs to hatch tomorrow or Saturday. She's been sitting 30 days now. I candled the first eggs she had at day 10 and they were all duds so I bought her some new ones. I think she'd sit another 30 days if she had to. Your hen should be fine to sit for another 3 weeks. Just bring her plenty of treats and water.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  3. the1honeycomb

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    Thanks!! I just got my eggs in the mail and plan to sneak them under her tonite!!
    she really gives me the evil eye when I go to check on her but she seems to like the nest she is in so she can stay and I will keep a close eye on her!
    post pics of your new babies and good luck!!!

4. Tiss

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    What kind of eggs did you order? I would be sure to candle them around day 5 or so to make sure that you see them developing.

Red has hatched 6 of 9 today. I see a pip in one of the three left. I can't tell on the other 2 and don't want to bother her.

This is a terrible pic but she won't cooperate. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  5. the1honeycomb

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    I ordered white Brahmas, today is the end of the first day and I will be candling them the guy I ordered from has a very good hatch rate and was very well rated. I love the photo looks alot like my red!! will keep events posted!
    Thanks

6. Tiss

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by