trim ducks nails??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by evonne, Nov 24, 2009.

1. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    hey guys [​IMG]

i just noticed the little claw nails on my ducks are getting VERY long... am i sposed to trim them??? and would i use the same tool i use to trim my cat's claws?? or regular nail trimmers?? or wire cutters??
    or do i just leave them alone??

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i use a pedi paws on their nails. they do get long! esp when they get a lot of calcium in their diets. I know of others who use a dremel. The pedi paws is basically the same thing.

I wouldn't use nal trimmers, since they seem to cracl and splinter their nails, which are hollow on the underside...

3. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i was thinking of getting out the thing i have in my nail kit for trimming the acrylic nail tips.. lol.. but it's very similar to the cat claw nipper....
    i have a dremel somewhere out in the shed... what bit thing is best?? med sandpaper??
    i could hold them down and use my nail files... lol..

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    nail files are no good because their nails are harder than ours, so it takes far too long. I just lie them on their backs wrapped in a towel and place them on my leg/thigh with their heads under my arm. I kinda put them in a headlock so i have both hands free to use the pedi paws. A medium grit bit on a dremel is about the same thing... you could go one finer if you are nervous. Just go slow, take off little bits at a time, and don't go down to far so their nails don't bleed... Just like with dogs/cats their have a sensitive quik

5. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    k... i'll give it a try after the craziness from thursday and this hatch is over... lol...
    i just wasn't sure if it was something that needed to be done or not...
    my chicken's don't seem toget long like the ducks.. is that normal too??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by