1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trimed beaks ??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mr.Dad, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    I'm on a list for pullets and we just called them (when I thought of this) and they said they normally come with trimed beaks.....

Personallly I don't like the look.....to me it's like.....stressfull......a real in your face sign of human hands on manipulation.....

Sorry if your chickens have trimed beaks, this is jmho...I just don't get why....straighten me out here.......

We told them we don't want them if their beaks are trimed...they're going to call us when they come in and let us know.....

Comments?

2. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I don't know the reason for trimming beaks. All of mine have normal beaks and are just fine. And if I get pecked it really is my own fault, (I shouldn't put that hand full of treats in front of them) So, I agree with you, I would not get them trimmed on purpose.

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    The suppliers probably are routinely trimming beaks because they are raising the birds in close confines, and that causes chicks to pick at each other much more than normal. Chickens with plenty of room to romp around and get away from the bullies don't have this problem.
    I agree; try to get yours without this having been done to them if possible. What breed are you getting?

4. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Chicbea is right. It is done to cut down on the birds pecking each other so badly.

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I agree they have it done cause they have so amny at once. I would definitely not want mine trimmed either. It just isnt right, and definitely not necessary!

6. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    I assumed a trimmed beak would grow back, much like a fingernail. Just out of curiousity, is this correct, or am I totally off base?

7. JamesC

JamesC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    No, they trim so far back that it doesn't regrow, it's permanent. Their trimmers cut and cauterize at the same time.

Poultry in a backyard flock don't need trimming. If one overgrows it can be trimmed back with clippers but only to where it matches the length of the bottom mandible.

James

8. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Wow.......glad I asked. Obviously, I'm not in the practice of trimming. I'm thankful for that! Thanks for the info, James.

9. Mr.Dad

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    Quote:We put sex-links on hold which later made me think I should have asked about the beaks being trimed....he said most times they come trimed....very nice people run the farm but I'm gonna have to pass....

I'm working on something for the weekend...may pick up a few more when I'm at it there and pass altogether on the sex-link pullets....

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  10. Mr.Dad

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    Quote:I'm glad you asked too because I woke up wondering the same thing [​IMG].......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by