Triming Muscovy Drake Toenails?

Muscovy Man

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Paonia, CO
I need some advice on trimming my three Muscovy Drake's toenails, because their nails are growing so long that they are turning to the side and I already tried to trim them with a dog nail trimmer but I realized that the quick goes all the down since I accidentally cut the quick on one of my drakes and it bled
sad.png

Suggestions?
hmm.png

Just a question, are they on wire, or on the ground? When I brought my calls home, they had been kept in a wire cage and their toenails were long and curly. I trimmed them "some" with baby nail clippers and haven't had a problem since. I figured it was because they were no longer on wire.

Quote:
Do they roost? If they do they tend to keep their nails shorter and straight and sharp through the interaction with the roost. If on the ground do they have enough room to get some exercise that tends to wear down nails too. The only suggestion I can make for your current problem is a nail file. as you file off a bit each day the the quick will tend to retreat in the nails as they would with natural wear. It is a thankless nasty job if the drake doesn't want his nails messed with ( and mostly they don't )

Back
Top Bottom