Trimmed beak, now no food or water

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mavrik, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    I trimmed the beak today of a 10 week old because it was plucking others feathers. I checked her crop tonight and found it completely empty. I did hit blood, the top beak is 1/8" shorter than the bottom, it could grab crumbles if it wanted too, but can't figure it out. I put large food in there (corn kernels) and it can't eat it, now what?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Patience Mavrik. Give the little bugger a couple days for the pain to deminish and see if it eats and drinks by then. That`s gotta be a traumatic experience. I don`t feel like eating or drinking after a tooth extraction, either.........Pop

3. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I agree, it sounds quite painful. I'd just be sure it stays hydrated and let it decide when to eat. Pain is a pretty good appetite suppressant. Give it a couple days and I'd think it would be fine- if not, try a wet mash.

4. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    No water for a couple of days? Sounds like this would kill it.

It is not drinking either. I tried wet mash earlier and it wouldn't eat it.

This is the first time I've trimmed a beak on a problem bird. I usually give them away, so I thought I would try it, didn't think this would happen.

It is crying up a storm right now.

5. Squishypuff

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    You may have to syringe feed it water. Water is probably not feeling very good on the cut part of the beak. Anything painful will affect an animal for some amount of time. Make sure you're getting water into it and hopefully it will eat in a couple of days. It's crying because it is in pain- but again, that's to be expected. hopefully it will feel better in a few days. chickens are very resilient.

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens can go without water for a couple days with no problem. I`ve shipped often with no problems. The other suggestion about using a syringe, ya gotta be carefull. If you get water down their windpipe, it could drown them. Probably dipping the beak in water would be safer, if you are concerned about hydration..........Pop

7. Squishypuff

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I should i been more clear in my post- when I syringe water I do it one drop at a time. Just drip it along the beak line and they drink it up themselves. I wasn't going for the idea of squirting water down the throat [​IMG]

8. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    I tried a dropper first and she refused it. I gave her some water with a syringe and surgical tubing "way" down the throat. The poor thing is sitting in my lap right now as I type.

9. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    It is really trying to eat the soft corn kernels, but can't pick them up.

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    try making some scramble egg for it. You can always pry the beak from the side with your fingernail and rub egg into the beak. And I agree with the dripping along the side of the beak. I had a sick chicken that I fed like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by