Trimmed beaks and free-range chickens.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by thoughtsbysabian, Jul 5, 2011.

1. thoughtsbysabian

thoughtsbysabian Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Hawley, PA
    Does anyone have any info on free-range chickens that have trimmed beaks? I am moving in 3 weeks and I will have 8 acres for them to free-range (not the problem..LOL) BUT, I was just going to order an additional 20 started pullets and realized that all have had their beaks trimmed. Is this a problem with free-range birds? Are they going to need to solely feed on layer mash? If so, I wont get them, as I want my birds to have the freedom of eating what ever they find, not to mention all the goodies I grow for them.... Thanks for any and all the help!!!!!!!!!

2. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    It may depend on how radically they are trimmed I had a rescue hen with just the tip off and she free ranged with the best of them. She was an adult though, and there is no way to know. how long it had been.

3. thoughtsbysabian

Aug 21, 2009
    Hawley, PA
    I dont know at what age they were trimmed. I would be picking them up at 17 weeks old if that helps.

4. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I have 10 hens that were debeaked as chicks. Acquired them @ 12 months of age. Took about 3 weeks before all of them finally got into chasing grasshoppers. They do fine, with that being said they do have unlimited layer available all day. Each day they are waiting for me to open the pen so they can play in the pasture.

5. thoughtsbysabian

Aug 21, 2009
    Hawley, PA
    GREAT!!!! I would never let them go without layer feed anyway, I just didn't want a flock that RELIED solely on it. For 1. the eggs taste better when free-ranging. 2. The feed cost goes down since they have an array of things they find on their own (not to mention I plant different things for them) and 3. I think they are just happier being able to run around and forage.... Thanks for the help. I think I am going to get them. The only reason I asked is because I have heard horror stories stating that chickens with trimmed beaks were unable to eat anything other then the layer mash.... Thanks Again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by