Trimmed beaks???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DONDChick, Mar 9, 2014.

1. DONDChick

DONDChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    I purchased 6 hens from a "home grown" hobby chicken breeder and then from a big time for profit breeder. The hens from hobby man have "normal" beaks while the for profit birds appear to have "nubs". Do breeders cut their beaks?? My new girls even stick their tongues out, something my "hobby" girls have never done.

2. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Strange. You should ask if the chickens were debeaked. If a breeder is running a large scale operation, then they may debeak to prevent pecking and cannabalism.

3. DONDChick

Mar 18, 2013
    I really don't know the difference. They have beaks, but very small. I was thinking if so it would be for the reason you stated.

4. Serenity Sav

Serenity Sav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Bonny Doon, California
    Yeah, sounds like they were debeaked. If you google "debeaked chickens" you can see some examples. Trimmed beaks are just trimming the very tip, like fingers nails, and they can grow back. Debeaking is what commercial farms do to prevent the chickens from pecking each other out of stress.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I would advise not to buy from the big time seller again. The only reason to debeak a chicken is so you can cram them so close together they want to kill each other. Debeaking prevents them from being able to peck each other. Proper flock management means you don't have to debeak chickens.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jchicken311

Jchicken311 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Texas
    sorry i have never heard of that before. I agree i would not get any more chickens from there.

7. Rubbertoe

Rubbertoe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Floresville, TX
    Never heard of that. Sounds horrible.

8. DONDChick

Mar 18, 2013
    They were debeaked! I agree with everyone, I will Never buy a debeaked, and will caution others to no buy from mass production breeders. Those hens are very socially awkward....appear sad, and just run and hide. My husbands got them through a connection, and I wasn't there to pick them out. So far two have adjusted fairly well, one has even layed. However, one is sick and I think they brought mites with them. LESSON LEARNED.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by