Trimming a beak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AK_Button_Mama, Jan 17, 2009.

1. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Oh my have I got a question for your poultry guru's!!!! so I am fostering this little lady Cash!!! her beak is a bit over grown. what can I do to help her out... should it be trimmed? can I do it? should I take her to the vet?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Do you have a picture?

3. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    I keep a set of the large toe nail/finger nail clippers in my show box. I not only use it on the bords' toenails, but to trim their beak. Too much "overgrowth" will hinder their eating.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I give my banty cochin with a crooked beak a "beakicure" whenever the beak seems a bit overgrown. Trim the edge a bit at a time with fingernail clippers. When you're done, file it with a fingernail file. For my banty, I can see light through the beeak to the point where I trim it. I don't trim it past where I can see light through it.

5. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    That is kinda how her beak is she has a really thin area that kinda hooks over the bottom part. she doesnt seemed bothered by it but I dont want her to become unable to eat!!!! so I will try to trim it up tommorrow!!! thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by