Trimming a beak?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Nov 19, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Whats the easiest and cheapest way to trim a beak?
    I want to get one of the pedipaws but dont have money right now and one of my babies beak is overgrown and the other is overgrown an has a crack going up the middle.
    TIA!

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    First of all, are you really sure the beaks are overgrown? Have you noticed these chickens having any problem eating?

When you interfere with nature, better be sure you need to do it first.

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Quote:X2

4. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    yes! their really overgrown!
    I named one baby "Hawk" because of it.. Their about 14-15 weeks old right now.

5. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Maybe some pics would help others to help you decide on a solution.

6. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:I dont have any clear photos right now an their all in bed for the night. the clearest photos I have are these but they dont really show what im talking about so..
    These are from 2 weeks ago.
    This is the one pullet who has always had a long beak (which is how she got the name "Hawk" because she has a raptor looking beak) but it's gotten longer just this past week... so its longer now then in this photo.

[​IMG]

And I dont have a good enough photo of the rooster but his is just as long an split down the center at the tip of the beak.
    The lady who I got the eggs from these babies came out of told me to use a nail file to get it down an then place a rock in their cages which is what im going to do tomorrow.

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:I dont have any clear photos right now an their all in bed for the night. the clearest photos I have are these but they dont really show what im talking about so..
    These are from 2 weeks ago.
    This is the one pullet who has always had a long beak (which is how she got the name "Hawk" because she has a raptor looking beak) but it's gotten longer just this past week... so its longer now then in this photo.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...60860_100002100667846_479873_1051993060_n.jpg

And I dont have a good enough photo of the rooster but his is just as long an split down the center at the tip of the beak.
    The lady who I got the eggs from these babies came out of told me to use a nail file to get it down an then place a rock in their cages which is what im going to do tomorrow.

You can put a cement block or a stepping stone in their pen and put some of their food on it. They will file their own beaks down. I had one that was overgrown and split up the middle as well. He took care of it himself. I would give him a chance to do it on his own first.
    sharon

8. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I have a rooster who's beak gets too long and hooked for him to be able to pick up food and will slowly lose weight if I don't clip it for him. I use a dog toe nail clipper. He hates being caught and I have to trick him to be able to catch him but I'm always happy to see him gobbling up the food after his trim.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by