Trimming a Silkie's Top Fluff

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by joebryant, Sep 3, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

My silkie hen has a baby chick. I know that she can't see very well because of all the fluff above and around her eyes, so I'm planning to remove some of it. Any suggestions about trimming?
    BTW, I'm planning to use my battery operated beard trimmer that I use during the winter when I let my hair/beard grow.

2. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Hi Joe,
    I have a pullet that I plan on showing in Nov. I have plucked so it will grow back in time I hope. If you trim it will not grow back until next molt. I just pluck the few feathers in front of her eyes with a tweezer.

3. joebryant

Ms. Lewis Rich :

Hi Joe,
    I have a pullet that I plan on showing in Nov. I have plucked so it will grow back in time I hope. If you trim it will not grow back until next molt. I just pluck the few feathers in front of her eyes with a tweezer.

Thanks for the reply. That's very interesting about the difference between plucking and shaving, the first one's growing back and the latter not until after they molt.
    Actually, it's good news too. I just now finished trimming with the shaver. Anne held her, and she took in stride very well. I trimmed quite a bit of the fluff from around the eye and up the sides and very front. I really can't tell that much difference in her appearance other than I can see her eyes now. She seems to be able to see a lot better now. I took her and her chick along with their feed and water and put them in a 6x6 cage out in the backyard's grass. They seem happy.
    Again, she looks pretty much the same, but I'm SURE that she's seeing much better now. It's good to know that I don't have to do it again until after she molts. THANKS AGAIN!​

4. joebryant

BTW, I also trimmed her beard so that she could see below her. Again, I want to emphasize that she can see MUCH better, looks the same in appearance as ever, and I highly recommend using a battery operated or electric trimmer for the job; set it on the lowest setting. Just go straight up and down all around the eye and take some off the front of the top.

I will never let a silkie get like she was again. It's a two-minute job, and it lasts until the next molt. Why have a half-blind chicken, especially when they have such pretty eyes.

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

sounds like a good plan to me, JoeB. Would be lots safer for them, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by