1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trimming beak on cross beaked?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by koakritters, Jun 5, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    I've been reading that you can trim/file down the beaks, and i want to try it on my little cross beaked, however i haven't found a "right" or a "wrong" way to do it. can someone give me instructions, or point me in the right direction, so i know what i'm doing when i try this? I'd hate to hurt her somehow by doing it wrong, i'm hoping she can eat a bit better this way, she's doing pretty good, but still not as big as her siblings. [​IMG]

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    bump

I have no experience, but I did see someone used one of those pedipaws to grind top and bottom a little.
    Hope this may help get you some answers.

3. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    I's like to know the answer to this question, too.[​IMG]

4. Chickensman97

Chickensman97 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Cromwell, CT
    With my cross beak, I took a pair of nail clippers and cut the beak as close as I could so that it wouldn't bleed, if yours starts to bleed a little you can put some flour on it to help it stop.

5. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    I tried trimming my cross beaked girl a while back with a dremel. I am a dog groomer and fairly handy at running a dremel to do dogs nails so I thought it wouldn't be hard. I haven't done it since because it got too close and her poor beak was sore for a few days. Some people say if you trim the lower beak they loose the ability to "scoop" food well. I have left hers alone since then and she has done fine so I figure if it isn't broke I won't try to fix it! There is usually very little beak that can be safely taken off that doesn't have blood supply to it. Just my two cents. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by