trimming beaks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by QuinnP, Jan 17, 2011.

1. QuinnP

QuinnP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    Since Arlo is hand fed his beak is getting slightly overgrown. How am I to trim it without giving him a heart attack? His nails are very long (since he cant walk) & he pulled one out a few months ago. He bled & I cried over him. (blush)

He squawked himself hoarse yesterday & today cant talk

2. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    I have heard never trim a chicken"s nails. They become susceptible to infections because they scratch in the dirt. Give him something sharp, like a stone, to file down his nails and beak on. I make sure mine are left to spend time on the patio, which keeps their nails trim. I've read you can keep a cinder block or stone of some sort in their run and they will sharpen their beaks on it.

3. QuinnP

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    will do!!! thanx!![​IMG][​IMG]

4. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have filed my chickens nails down before. But never cut them.

I laid her on her back in lap and covered her with a towel, except her feet of course. She laid there very calm and still, and I just used a regular metal nail file to get the points down so she wasn't so jagged, and it worked fine.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    People trim show chickens' nails all the time. Turn them upside down so you can see the vein, and trim only the tip off, or file them, as the other poster said.

People trim crooked beaked chickens' beaks all the time, too, so it is easier for them to eat. Again, a file is also used.

I keep concrete blocks and bricks around so mine can work on their own beaks and nails. Yeah. They clean their beaks on the 2x4 roosts and avoid walking on the concrete.

You probably need to keep trimming his nails since he can't walk which means there is no natural trimming going on. Kinda like a dog's nails, you can only do a little at a time, but if you do it every week or so, they will eventually get shorter, and the vein will withdraw some.

6. QuinnP

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    Iwouldn't a roo scream like a banshee if turned upside down?

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    No, because flipping them over makes it difficult for them to breathe properly. They generally go into a stupor to conserve resources (air).

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I lay them on their side and put a hand towel over their head. Somehow they seem to think if they can't see, they shouldn't move. LOL
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by