trimming becks????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by teriid856, Mar 5, 2008.

1. teriid856

teriid856 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2007
    :cdMy hens are pecking each other. I had to separate 1 of them as it was so bad her back side started to bleed. I'm using rooster booster anti pecking lotion and it seems to be helping.
    My question is this, have any of you heard or do you "trim your hens beaks" to remedy this behavior? Had an old farmer tell me to use a soildering iron, he said to heat it up and just touch the tip of the beak. It'll trim and cauterize it at the same time. I don't know about this. Sounds a little weird, but then I never thought I'd be outside rubbing my chickens butt either!!! Thanks for your help, Terri

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Beak trimming is cruel. Please do not do this. They are deformed when you burn back their beaks and cannot eat propely for the rest of their life. It does not grow back.

Pecking and feather pulling and such is a good indicator they are not getting enough to eat and need more protein.

Make sure you are leaving out plenty of good feed. Hold off on cracked corn or scratch.

Toss out some dry kat food. Give them a doz boiled eggs chopped with shells and all with some yogurt and cooked white rice. Look for some poultry vitamins too.

Good luck. I am sure things will soon improve.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What MissPrissy said.

Also, how much room do they have? Crowding and boredom often cause enough stress to get 'em picking at each other.

Good lluck,

Pat

4. teriid856

teriid856 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2007
    Thanks for your answers. I wasn't surprised to hear that it was "cruel". The thought of doing it turned my stomach but I thought maybe it was a normal thing and I just needed to toughen up. I absolutely WILL NOT do that to them. Thanks again. I will try adding cat food and boiled eggs. I do give yogurt once a week, plus about a cup uncooked oatmeal or fresh lettuce daily. I haven't used scratch but in the dead of winter I did throw cracked corn. I was feeding all kinds of leftovers but I stopped because it started to smell like a dumpster. Haven't used any oyster shell or vitamins either. My eggs are beautiful get 2-5 daily w/hard shells.
    I only have 3 RIRs. They are in a 12'x12'x 8' tall avairy w/ a 3 1/2' x 4' rabbit hutch converted into a coop. They have a nesting box in there and a roosting post. I keep layer feed and fresh water available at all times. I add ACV to their water. I also have 2 apples hanging from 2 strings about 6 ' apart.
    If it sounds like I'm missing something/anything please let me know. It looks as if the anti-peck lotion is working but they do keep going behind each other, looking like they're going to peck, but then change their mind. Thanks again and info is greatly appreciated.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

May also want to try to feed them some black oil sunflower seeds in case they are lacking in methonine, an amino acid in feathers.

6. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    You can also put bits on them if they just won't quit. Some hens are like that. Just make sure you keep the feed in a feeder, not on the ground so they can still eat with the bits. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by