trimming bum feathers?

Leah S

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
My EE has a very fluffy butt and gets poo stuck to it. I read that it does not bother her, but it bothers me! How does one go about trimming a chicken's bum? We do clip their wings (the only way we found that works for keeping them IN the run), is it the same thing just in a different place? thanks for your thoughts!
Leah

The one thing you'll need to be careful about is not clipping too far down the feathers, as you may reach a blood vessel if you're not careful. But what happens when more poo gets stuck in the same area? Are you going to keep on clipping until she's got nothing left to clip?

An alternative solution might be to sponge the area with warm water to soften the poo and then ease it off, if you feel your chicken absolutely must have a clean bum! Make sure you dry the feathers off a bit with a dry cloth.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

i was hoping that once trimmed the poo would not get caught any more and that it would be like clipping their wings only having to do once the new feathers came in after a molt. maybe not? do not want to be out there all time cleaning her and trimming. if that's the case i can live with a poopy bum, it's not mine after all ; )

Hi I am going to have to do the same also as i just got given a sussex hen that was unwanted and on her own and shes very slowly intergrating into my flock of ex bats (who have no bum feathers), i was thinking of giving her a bath but i am worried as shes very nervous and scared and i dont want it to be too much for her so i thought i would just quickly trim the area and reduce her stress.

I had a hen with a dirty butt. I would trim the fluff, pretty short. Never bled. I'm not sure that there are blood vessels in the fluff.
And it did eliminate 90% of the mess.
You do want to try and get it off, as it can burn the skin if left on.

Imp

Hi. I have also trimmed a little booty fluff here and there. I have found though that if you can't get it off still your best bet is to try a dip in some warm water. I have done this and while wearing gloves, you can pick it off them once the water loosens it up a little more.

Back
Top Bottom