Trimming chickens toe nails

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by StaatsFarms, Sep 9, 2009.

1. StaatsFarms

StaatsFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    does anyone trim their chickens toe nails??? if so what is everyones opinions on the best way to do it???

2. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    no...... i was trimming one wing to keep them from fying but i stopped doing that too..... why do u want to trim their nails?

3. StaatsFarms

StaatsFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    They are just looking a little long... but the main reason is they are scratching my 2 year old when he goes in the run and they jump up on his knee when he kneels down

4. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I have read a lot of chicken books and have never heard of trimming their nails. I think they probably wear them down naturally scratching and foraging.

5. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I have a lot of grandchildren who go in coop.... they just have to learn at a young age not to go in there without jeans on or be careful.. I think they naturally wear the nails down also.... they do get long..

6. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Oh yes, you can certainly trim the toenails of a chicken. Most chickens who get access to the outdoors don't need it, but every now and then they do. It's pretty simple really, similar to doing it for a dog or cat.

I wrote an article about trimming beaks (yes, sometimes you even have to trim beaks!) which is almost the same technique as trimming toenails. See the article here:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4513302_trim-chickens-beak.html

Let me know if you have any other questions, and remember, do it in small increments to avoid nicking the quick.

Cheers,

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I occasionally trim nails if they get too long, like on an older hen. I used clippers that are round on the end. You put it around the nail and then squeeze the handle. Be sure and look where the quick ends, so as not to make them bleed. And very small increments, as above poster said. I got my clippers at the feed store.

8. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    I trim our chickens' nails if they get too long. Our bantams sometimes get curled nails and our rooster's one spur tends to grow into his leg. I just do it (carefully) with our goat hoof clippers. I just take off a little bit at a time and try to avoid hitting any veins. They don't like it either, so I have to hold them down to trim without hurting them.

9. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Mr. Frizzles Hen House Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    I have a cochin who I need to trim her nails too. She has been on the nest FOREVER being broody. I cant break her and I think its because she doesnt like the rooster chasing her evertime she gets down. Her nails have started to curl the've gotten so long. Her feathers cover her feet so I did't catch it right away. I plan on trimming them soon and possibly seperating her since shes getting too thin. Thanks for the posts. I plan to use my dog trimmers:)

10. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Mr. Frizzles Hen House Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    The Chickens' Maid :

I trim our chickens' nails if they get too long. Our bantams sometimes get curled nails and our rooster's one spur tends to grow into his leg. I just do it (carefully) with our goat hoof clippers. I just take off a little bit at a time and try to avoid hitting any veins. They don't like it either, so I have to hold them down to trim without hurting them.

Are bantams prone to curling nails? Mine is a bantam and its her frizzled rooster that is harrasing her.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by