Trimming horribly over grown nails?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JekkaLynn, Jul 29, 2014.

1. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    I brought/rescued a frizzle cochin and after a bath to wash the filth off she turned out to be in better shape then I had thought. Once all her feathers weren't matted together in clumps there were less missing then it had seemed like. She still has several bald patches but not as bad as I first thought and everyday she seems happier and healthier.

[​IMG]

The one thing I am still having a problem with is her poor feet. I have never bought a chicken that wasn't in good shape. Not that I was avoiding them but they need so little to stay comfortable and healthy that I have just never come across birds like these. I bought three and they all had filthy matted feathers and...we will just call it 'mud'...cacked to their feet and toes. But the poor cochin girl had it the worst. I soaked her feet in warm water and soap and managed to work most of it off but one piece is still stuck. :( The poor girls nails are so long that she has trouble walking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To protect her poor bald back from sunburn she is in a pen that is always at least half shade. She is standing on a thick cushion of clean straw and has a deep pile of sandy dirt to dig in with her friends.

I need advice on the best way to get her toes/nails back in decent shape.

(Edited twice because I can't spell)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  3. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    Thanks for the link.

I will do her nails tonight with my husbands help...all except the nail stuck in...'mud'...

These poor birds don't know what to do with all the space they have now. And they seem confused about what the dirt pile is for.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You might give the birds that need trims a nice warm bath. It will serve 2 things....it'll clean them up overall, and it will soak their legs/feet so the trimming will be much much easier...best of luck and let us know how it goes!

5. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    We will give just her feet a good long soak in warm water before each trimming session.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: