Trimming Nails is it ok

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pw_quiltworks, Jul 26, 2010.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Ok so my silkie hens have real long claws/nails whatever. Is it ok to trim them off. They look like they hurt when they walk. I am not worried to do it but I want to make sure it doesn't cause a worse problem than they have now. I can take off about a half inch or so before I get to the quick. I am worried I might cut something if I cut them too short. I had no idea they could grow that long. Any help would be appreciated. It seems they have really grown long since spring. They are out most of the day and I just didn't notice them. I feel real bad I did not notice it before.

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I would absolutely cut them. But absolutely DO NOT cut the quick. Before you even start go to Petsmart and buy this stuff called QuikStop. If they bleed you apply that with a q-tip and it will stop it. Chickens bleed a lot and you have to be very careful with them.

3. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    If you can't find quikstop, you can use any caking agent such as flour, baking soda, etc.. We have had to use it on our dog before. If you are worried about the quik, only take a little each time. Good luck.

4. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    I like to use the bird covers that have the grit on them. I just stick them on there perches and they trim there beaks and claws with this. no mess this way or pain to the bird.

5. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    It's done!! [​IMG] I did it. No bleeding. I found this kind of neat nail cutter out in the barn. Worked real easy. I had to put the silikies up side down on my lap until they were calm then I could trim away. No problem. The rooster is ok for now. I will keep a close eye. The girls walk better now. I feel a little sick that I was so lax. I really just did not notice it. I check for bugs and ticks...never thought to check the nails. [​IMG] Poor girls. Thanks for the help and helping me to get the courage to do it.

I would use the grit on the perch but they do not perch. Silikies sometimes don't. Mine don't. They fall off the perch even as young chicks they would not stay on it. Not sure if that is normal. I really like the silkies. They are a year old and just fun to watch.

Now I am having a hard time getting the buff Orp and jersey Giant to get on the perch at night. I have taken to going out a little after dark and putting them on the perch hoping they will get the idea. They seem kind of uneducated for chickens. [​IMG]

6. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    My silkies will perch if it is real low to the ground that they can jump onto it. you could also just buy some sand paper and put it somewhere in the coop either glued or taped to a square piece of wood. mine peak at it. this helps there beaks stay trimmed also. I have never had to trim any of my chickens feet. But mine always manage to find other ways to get themselves into trouble. even the smallest piece of string or tarp strings or just anything. They get it caught on there feet then I have to get that off.... They are so clumsy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by