Trimming nails? Pedi paws?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Jan 8, 2009.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    My ducks do not have the life of a forager like farm ducks. Mine are quite pampered and do spend a lot of time on my patio. When they are outside, it's not like they run around... They also get plenty of calcium form their layer feed... So mine often get really long toe nails, and since my ducks are rather cuddly, they can scratch really bad. I currently have a huge one on my arm and a couple on my chest (from my overly lovey chocolate runner who loves to give hugs). And trust me, it hurts and gets old really quick. So i was looking into trimming thier nails... I used to file them a bit but they don't like to sit for very long while i do it. I never use nail clippers becuas eit just looks like it would hurt... So i broke down and got one of those pedi paws [​IMG] things to see if it would work. I had to teach the ducks not to be scared of it, but now they sit for me while i stick each tow in and file it a bit. You can't go down really far because you could hurt them, and becuase their nails are really curved (they can splinter if you go too far)... I usually just take the tips off so they are more nubby... it helps with the frequency of the scratches.

Does anyone else use anything to trim nails? anyone else had success with pedipaws?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i love this. haven't done it myself but sounds great.

3. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    I have one and use it on the dogs, and yes they were correct in stating you have to train them to be okay with it. They all had meltdowns the first time we tried. LOL I cannot believe your ducks tolerated that!

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    You dont need that thing just get a Dremel.

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I second the Dremel. This is what I got for my dogs' nails. Works great.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Dremel is pretty handy to have around, I use it a lot in glass/woodwork. Pedipaws can't do all that!

To refer to Alton Brown: Just say NO to unitaskers!

BUT- if you've already got, that's great, especially since the ducks don't mind now. Clever idea! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by