1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trimming polish head feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmGirl21, Nov 1, 2008.

1. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    Is it okay to trim the feathers on the chickens head? I have 2 small polish & their head feathers always look wet and nasty. would it hurt them to trim the feathers during winter?

2. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    i trim mine all the time....just becareful and dont trim them to short...they WILL BLEED

I trim our so they can see, and so the rest of the flock cant pluck the feathers when they arent looking.
    If you look on our pages there is a pic of one with trimmed head featheres. If you arent going to show them the nI say trim them so they have better chance at getting food and being a "normal" chicken

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Yes its OK to trim the head feathers. I have to trim mine so they can see. One of my young hens has so big a head dress that even after I trim it she has trouble seeing in front of her. She always turns her head to the side to see.

4. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    Quote:my sultans are like that.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I've heard it said that some people put their feathers in those small scrunchie type bands.

6. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

WHAT? [​IMG] Trimming "hippie chickens" [​IMG] That'd be shameful indeed. Just Kidding [​IMG]

7. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I had a silkie roo who had to wear a little pink baby size barrette to hold his crest back so that he could see. I couldnt trim it because he was a show bird. He looked really silly.

I dont trim the crests on my polish so I dont keep any non-polish in with them because of the plucking head feathers problems.

[​IMG]

Chel

8. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    I've never had a problem with plucking. Their head feathers just get SOAKED & then they are stuck dragging & flopping them around all the time. Besides looking really icky, i'm sure it can't be comfortable for them. I think it may just be the weather lately, because its been so wet, but i dunno.

ETA: how long does it take the feathers to grow back if i trim?

also, i tried a scrunchie, band & bobby pin because i couldnt find anything else, it just kept working its way out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  9. crazylilchick

crazylilchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Missouri
    I too trim my polish around their eyes. I do it in front and on the sides. I usually wrap them in a hand towel and pin it with a clothspin. They kind of look like they are at the beauty shop. It keeps them from running off while I trim. I had one that I put all her poof up in a rubberband because her sisters had pecked the center of her poof bald and bloody. The pony-tail pulled the feathers up over the bald spot and protected it. It was quite funny to see. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    If you trim the feathers then they shouldnt grow back until the next molt.

It is possible that your polish is intentionally dunking its head in the water to wet down the feathers so that s/he can see better. Some silkies learn to do this, much to the exasperation of their owners if they are show birds.

Chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by