Trimming polish head feathers

FarmGirl21

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
WA
Is it okay to trim the feathers on the chickens head? I have 2 small polish & their head feathers always look wet and nasty. would it hurt them to trim the feathers during winter?

i trim mine all the time....just becareful and dont trim them to short...they WILL BLEED

I trim our so they can see, and so the rest of the flock cant pluck the feathers when they arent looking.
If you look on our pages there is a pic of one with trimmed head featheres. If you arent going to show them the nI say trim them so they have better chance at getting food and being a "normal" chicken

Yes its OK to trim the head feathers. I have to trim mine so they can see. One of my young hens has so big a head dress that even after I trim it she has trouble seeing in front of her. She always turns her head to the side to see.

WHAT?
ep.gif
Trimming "hippie chickens"
th.gif
That'd be shameful indeed. Just Kidding
frow.gif

I had a silkie roo who had to wear a little pink baby size barrette to hold his crest back so that he could see. I couldnt trim it because he was a show bird. He looked really silly.

I dont trim the crests on my polish so I dont keep any non-polish in with them because of the plucking head feathers problems.

Tolbunt100_4727_1.jpg

Chel

I've never had a problem with plucking. Their head feathers just get SOAKED & then they are stuck dragging & flopping them around all the time. Besides looking really icky, i'm sure it can't be comfortable for them. I think it may just be the weather lately, because its been so wet, but i dunno.

ETA: how long does it take the feathers to grow back if i trim?

also, i tried a scrunchie, band & bobby pin because i couldnt find anything else, it just kept working its way out.
sad.png

Last edited:
I too trim my polish around their eyes. I do it in front and on the sides. I usually wrap them in a hand towel and pin it with a clothspin. They kind of look like they are at the beauty shop. It keeps them from running off while I trim. I had one that I put all her poof up in a rubberband because her sisters had pecked the center of her poof bald and bloody. The pony-tail pulled the feathers up over the bald spot and protected it. It was quite funny to see.
lol.png

If you trim the feathers then they shouldnt grow back until the next molt.

It is possible that your polish is intentionally dunking its head in the water to wet down the feathers so that s/he can see better. Some silkies learn to do this, much to the exasperation of their owners if they are show birds.

Chel

Back
Top Bottom