Trimming Spurs that are Huge!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OkChickens, Jan 16, 2011.

1. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have a few Roosters that are fighting that have spurs that are over 1" long. I want to trim them for there own safety. I do not really want a blind Roo. How far back do I trim it back and with what?

-Nate

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well first, over 1 inch isn't "huge." You gotta wait until they're far over a year old to call 'em huge. [​IMG]

But, trimming is not the best method nor very humane. The best thing is to take some pliers and gently twist them off - Minimal bleeding and pain.

Otherwise, if your roosters are fighting like that, removal of spurs isn't the thing to do. The thing to do is responsibly separate them or get rid of them. [​IMG]

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    The Rooster I'm talking about is about 1 1/2 years old if that makes a difference...

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Still, either twist them off or do the better choice - Separate or get rid of him.

5. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

here is a link for removing spurs.

6. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Quote:I prefer sawing, If done correctly no pain or blood what so ever, You can see the quick, just saw above that.A month later the quick will receed and you can saw even closer..When you shuck the hull of the spur you still have a point and it probably feels like pulling your finger nail off....

7. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Quote:Thanks for this! Was just about to post and ask how to do this for my buff Orpington roo.
    There was one more youtube video for some larger spurs and they layed the roo in their lap and used one hand to brace the leg and some pliers to gently grasp and turn the spur as they removed it. I probably will have to do that since my roo's spurs are indeed huge...he's over 2 yrs old!
    Many thanks again for the link [​IMG]

8. robinwiththechickens

robinwiththechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Riverton, Wyoming
    Is there a minimum age/spur length requirement before you should de-spur? My baby boys will be a year old in April, and so far their spurs are only about 3/4" long, but they have worn out the feathers on some of the girls' backs. I have aprons on their favorite hens, but would like to keep the others from getting damaged.

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The younger the roo is, the easier it is to twist off the spurs. I have done it to a roo as young as a year old and recently to my two two-year olds. Their spurs were longer and harder to twist off and the larger roo bled quite a bit. Don't worry about it being painful. None of the roos even flinched as they were lying on my lap as I was doing it. The older the roo, the longer the nub is. If you de-spur at a young age, the re-grown spur won't be as long, therefor a less dangerous weapon.

You may need to twist very gently, for what seems quite a while, before you see the spur loosen. Be sure to grasp the spur firmly at the base close to the shank. When it visibly loosens, then gently pull the spur off the nub. I rub Bag Balm on the wet nub. It usually hardens in a day or two.

My roo that bled had to be wrapped in vet wrap to protect his nubs from being damaged as they were hardening. He's a twelve pound Brahma, but something of a delicate, but very clumsy flower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by