1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trimming Spurs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Frozen Feathers, May 8, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I've never had a rooster with spurs as sharp as this guys. Can and how do I trim them?? Thanks, I'd appreciate any advice!

2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    There was an article in Backyard Poultry this month about this subject, see if you can pick up a copy somewhere, it has a picture of a Polish on the cover.
    One thing I remember they suggested was to use those electrical wire caps (the twist on colorful ones you find in any hardware store) on the ends of the spurs. Hope this helps!

3. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Mud that's a great idea about the plastic caps, I'll do that next time and see.

As to the original question, I just took some dog trimmers to Billy's spurs tonight and just took off enough to get the "point" dulled.

One I got a little bit of liquid/blood and put flour on it, the other one came off fine.

I barely cut any off, so I wouldn't suggest going "too" low...his spurs are white and what I thought was the quick (much lower than it obviously was) apparently was wrong...so just do enough to get the points off until you know where the quick is.

Kristi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by