Trimming young turkeys wing feathers?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by lil'turkeymama, Jan 1, 2011.

1. lil'turkeymama

lil'turkeymama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    I've got 16 young birds about 7-8 months old.I hatched from my own birds and I have to keep them up most of the time.I have always let them out to free range a couple of hours everyday that I can.They have always flew around some when I first turn them out.The only problem is they can fly over the 6 foot privacy fence between us and the neighbors back yard/dog pen.I have only lost 2 older birds to that.They flew over the fence,the dog got them.The young I have are in a large 40'x40' fly pen.I really don't want to trim their wings.So far somehow I've been able to keep them following me,even while hopping and low flying,and not go over the fence.I would like to let a couple young toms out to free range for the table.I am thinking they will not be as strong without their wings.But I would hate for them to fly over the fence.I'm pretty sure they'll stay close to the large pens and I have a smaller pen that joins it they could get in without flying.So should I trim the wings or just hope they'll stay close?Thanks.[​IMG]

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Trim only 1 wing. I have seen heritage turkeys with both wings clipped short and still make a six foot fence.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I trim my hens only, I have never had a tom leave his girls side, but hens love to explore the other side of the fence.

4. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    mr. birdaholic :

I trim my hens only, I have never had a tom leave his girls side, but hens love to explore the other side of the fence.

grass is always greener and the bugs are juicier on the other side of the fence you know. [​IMG]

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

They're real dummys. As soon as they fly over, they pace the fence trying to figure out how to get back in. You think they'd fly back, but nooooo. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by