Trin broody hen's beak?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Staley, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Staley

Staley Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2014
    One of my two broody hens has a very fast growing beak. She is my nice one and I think I could trim it without moving her. Has anyone done that? Is it likely to stress her out and make her leave the eggs? Ugh, I can't figure out how to fix my typo in the title.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you trimmed this hen's beak before? Why do you think it needs trimming at this time?

I wouldn't disturb a broody sitting on eggs for this. If there's a compelling reason to trim her beak, it would be best to wait until she voluntarily gets off the nest and goes out to poop. Be ready with some dog nail clippers and do it quickly, careful to get only the very tip so as not to risk heavy bleeding by cutting into the quick.

3. Staley

May 7, 2014
    I have trimmed beaks before - just not a broody. These are my first broody hens and it is surprising how quickly this one's beak is growing. I just was worried that it may get out of hand and be harder to deal with later if it keeps growing at this rate. Also I thought that she may be harder to get ahold of once she has chicks to care for BUT I don't know about that since we have not had broody hens before.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Have you had to trim this particular birds beak before.....or did the fast growth start when she went broody?
    Hormone surge maybe?
    How 'far along' is she?

5. Staley

May 7, 2014
    It's just been since she went broody. Hasn't even been a full week yet. She seems fine so far. I was just worried about how bad it could get.

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Got a pic of it?

7. Staley

May 7, 2014
    I'll get a picture tomorrow.

8. Staley

May 7, 2014

This is what it looks like. It's growing hooked and wide. She has been here close to a week I think.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Whoa, that is odd!

Looks very thin...bet you could clip it off pretty easy.....and it's 'clear' so a bright light would light up any blood vein in there.

10. Staley

May 7, 2014
    There is no vein there. It's thin enough and pale enough to see through. I may try to clip it tomorrow. I don't want to stress her out but I think it looks like something I could do without moving her if she'll let me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by