trining chiks to come to you

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pefferlawchicken, Mar 28, 2009.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    can you train your chickens to come to you on commond how please tell![​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    FOOD.

My friend gave me four juvies. 2 EEs and 2 BSLs. One of the EEs was a roo and if I would call for him he would FLY right up onto my shoulder. He was amazing... I was so saddened last month when I walked into the coop and found him dead on the floor.

3. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Give them lots and lots of attention from the time they're little. I don't mean to pick up day old chickens constantly, but go and sit so they can see you. And talk to them. Give them treats. That's all I ever did, and they RAN when they saw me!

(This may be better placed in the Chicken Behavior section)

4. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Little treats have always worked for me. But now I can not walk outside to call one chicken and not be mobbed by the whole flock! Everyone knows their names and will acknowledge you are going to give them the treat when their name is said, but the rest are there to make sure they get their share too!.. I do have to pick up each rooster to get them to eat their treat and not drop it for a hen.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    [​IMG] I agree...FOOD! Mine all come to me when I offer them corn. I call "here chick chick chick" and they all come running. I can let them out of their run for an hour and if I have to leave I just simply get a bucket with some corn/treats in it and shake it while standing in their run and call for them. They ALL come running within seconds. CUTE!

6. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    I don't think there's much skill involved in having them come to you. Now if you could train them to NOT come on command - that would be something! [​IMG]

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    It took mine a few days. I would just sit with them a few times a day. Then I started to offer them some treats. Now they see me and they come running. FOOD!!!! Its the trick.

8. OldMORoo

OldMORoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    S. W. MO
    Food is the magic answer. Mine are a mixed flock of 10 wk. old RIR, BR's, Welsummers and BSL's and 1 over friendly LH. I give them bread; which they love; worms or just about anything. I set with them aleast twice a day and talk to them while the treats are in session then set down on a bale of hay with them afterwards and talk some more. At any given time I have 5 BR's on me, 1 on each foot, 1 one each knee and 1 will fly on my shoulder. [​IMG] And the LegHorn, well if she get boried, she'll run 1 of the BR's off my knee and set like she is the Queen B. And she is a B at times. [​IMG]
    Claude

9. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    The call,
    "chickens, chickens"
    or "chick chick chick"
    always get the Delightful Dozen running to us,
    of course,
    we have treats ready! LOL

Even the dogs come quicker when they know we have liver treats waiting...LOL

10. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    At least 25 of our 32 Hens & Roos know their names--- even if it means they RUN when I say it! LOL!

But most come when they hear their names, or fly to me when they see me (many a time I am hit in the head with an 8+ LB bird who still doesn't "get" that she isn't little enough for my shoulder anymore!)

Both My OE Banty Roo's,all the Silkies, and 2 hens each of California White , Red Productions and Buff Rocks are the most spoiled.. .especially my "Banty Brothers!"

They both fly to my head or shoulder as soon as I enter the coop! They WERE the feistiest of all the roos-- pinching and running...
    but I made it a point to take turns carrying them around and feeding them tidbits..within a few weeks, they had become my best babies, and that was about 6 months ago! LOL!

Unfortunately, Rip Van Wrinkles aim isn't as good as his Brothers (Ronny Waddles) and rends to clip the side of my head periodically! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by