1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trio of BLR Wyandottes Boys? Girls? I am stumped..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheSheriffswife, Jun 15, 2011.

1. TheSheriffswife

TheSheriffswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    I have a trio of BLR's I hatched on 3/26 these last few babes are my "what are they" hold outs..I was told that this breed sometimes looks similar as far as combs and wattles with male/female don't know..anyway anybody have any or good with this breed that may know? None have crowed all are real affectionate and none act at all roo-ish One of them I def. think is a roo..the others I don't know..Thanks! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THis is the one I think is a boy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Sorry but they are all boys [​IMG]

3. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    They look all like boys to me

4. TheSheriffswife

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Wow! Geez I was kind of hoping the paler one was a girl [​IMG] I'm batting 3 for 3 I hatched 3 out of 4 and got 3 boys. Super! Hatched 5 out of 5 Olive Eggers got 4 maybe 5 boys..UGH!

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yep, all cockerels.

6. TheSheriffswife

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Is it the combs? wattles? I was looking at pics from a few websites of BLR hens and it seems they have large red rose combs and red wattles..what is that all about? When do the hens develop those? Thanks! That's the only reason I thought is might be a possibility.. Guess I'll just have to get more chicks! [​IMG]

7. phy

phy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Yeah, I'd like to know the reasoning you guys have behind your decision that they are all roos. They look like they could be either to me.
    I have 6 straight-run BLR chicks now, and I'd like to know how to tell what sex they are once they are older.

8. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    They all look like roos to me. Very beautiful wyandottes though, we don't have any in NSW...[​IMG]

9. TheSheriffswife

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Quote:Thank You! [​IMG] They are lovely..and some of my favorites..Do you know the answer to this..The hens I have seen pics of have the large red combs and red wattles..when do they develop those? I just want to know how to tell male from female..

10. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Yep all boys and I thought that before I saw the responses. Its the pointed saddle feathers on top in front of the tail. You have 3 beautifull boys. Send one my way if your going to rehome. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by