trio of doves - 3 months old

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by fishnet1971, Nov 15, 2010.

1. I came home from the Ohio National show on Saturday with a box of three beautiful doves. I will have photos tomorrow. they are buff and white and small in size. I was told they are 3 months old. I am not familiar with doves except that I had a pair of small white ones growing up and they were a blast. I am not sure if they are ringnecks or not.The do not seem to have any kind of ring around their neck. If anyone can offer information on them, please do! If you would like to have them, come get them! My husband seems to be sneezing and stuff around them constantly. I told him I would try and find a home for them if I could. Pick up only. located in Northeast Ohio

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Wow, yes they are ringnecks and they are BEAUTIFUL!! Why won't you ship? I'd take these in a heartbeat [​IMG]

I believe what you have are tangerine pearled ringnecks, they are simply gorgeous. http://www.internationaldovesociety.com/RNColorPics/tangerinepearled.htm

If
    you decide that you want to try shipping I'll be your guinea pig [​IMG]

You do know that you can keep them outside? Just make sure that their cage is covered pretty well to keep them out of the wind and they'd be fine. You could even hang a cage in your chicken house, just make sure the girls can't roost on it and poop on them. They can eat regular wild bird seed, that's what I feed mine. Though I do offer some chick starter (20% protein) in case they want a little boost [​IMG]

They need a dish for water since they siphon the water in their beaks, unlike chickens who get a beak full and tip their heads up to let gravity draw the water down.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  3. how safe is shipping them? what state are you in? I am always interested in a 'road trip' ! [​IMG] [​IMG] they are so great. in two days they are finger trained. i dont think the Ohio winters would allow me to keep them outside at all. My chicken coop is insulated and I have a heat lamp, but i am scared it wont be warm enough.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Sorry, I thought I'd responded to this [​IMG] Well I KNOW I responded, but it didn't post. My computer was having issues [​IMG]

Anyway, to answer your question it is very safe to ship them, you just have to put some millet spray and some orange or apple slices in their box for them to 'eat' and 'drink' on their trip. Normally shipping takes 1-2 days.

I'm in southern KY, about 8 hours from you. Quite a drive to rehome some birds [​IMG]

If your coop has a heat light I'm sure they'd be fine in there. Just make their cage so that the chickens can't roost on top of it and poop on the poor darlings at night. Does your coop stay warm enough to keep the waters unfrozen?

I saw your post in the pigeons & doves forum and what Mary of Exeter said is right. Keep them out of drafts and give them a flat perch wide enough that they can't wrap their toes around it and they'll be fine.

I feed mine wild bird seed (milo, millet, wheat, BOSS, cracked corn) but I also offer some 20% chick starter in a separate dish if they feel so inclined to need it. Some eat it, some don't.

Let me know what you decide, but you really don't have to rehome them. I have one pair on my front porch in a covered cage and the rest are in front of the barn in cages that are covered all but the front. They'll be fine in your chicken coop if you don't want to rehome them, then next spring you can make them a huge aviary so you can go in there and spend time with them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by