Trio of geese what breed?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Anna6, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Anna6

Anna6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    SoCal
    So I am thinking of getting a set up of a trio of geese but which breed do I want? I am not keeping them in particular for meat or eggs but I am not opposed to using them for that purpose. I have children, goats and chickens. I currently have a white Chinese gander and he is a good boy but loud. Do I want Pilgrim geese?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    This may help https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/618185/raising-geese-101
    I like them all but I do think Pilgrim are very nice too. and [​IMG]

3. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Why don´t you get a white chinese goose for your gander and get a pair of something else? I only have the quieter pilgrim-type here, and I really don´t think he´d be able to stand up to a chinese gander come breeding season. But you could separate the two breeds for the necessary time and everyone´d be happy. ?

4. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Haha yea some geese hate the way others honk so hard ,so they start fighting and if the chinese looses then he will be a lot quieter

5. livininbrazil

I´m not too sure a pilgrim would wina fight over a chinese, though. And I meant 'quieter' in the way of calmer nature rather than the noise...but that´s true as well! [​IMG]

6. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Haha yep , i wonder what it would be like if i introduced a bunch of pilgram geese into my flock !?! My most aggressive breed of goose is my romantuff cross embden gander ! He is very aggressive to other geese and my calmist is greylags

7. Anna6

Anna6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    SoCal
    Thought about it but I think I want one gander and 2 geese. I love the colors of this one but I am not sure if it will have the right temperament for our family. The noise is not that big a deal. Also I would like to raise them from when they are small. George is great but a bit wild. We just recently acquired him. So in essence I like Chinese geese but I think I would like another breed to breed. I am very interested in heritage breeds. George might end up in the pot or rehome if he doesn't behave.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  8. livininbrazil

Oh, I see.Well it´d probably be best to re-home George first, then go looking for some gozzies. Although George could be good to use in rearing them, there´s not much point in hanging onto him if you don´t really want him. Also, you´ll enjoy them so much better. Some breeds of geese are easy to tell male and female at hatch, like the pilgrim. My pilgrim-types (they´re not actually pilgrims, but I can´t put a breed name to them) or at least, auto-sexing geese are very mild-natured. Here are some of my autos:[​IMG]
    The little girlie has the darker bill.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  10. livininbrazil

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by